Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
7,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the last four years Phil and I have set out each year to catch a new species. It's a pretty good list so far red drum, cobia, wahoo, bluefin tuna, striped marlin, albies and sailfish to name the big ones, however this year we would like to add tarpon to the list. So, if you were going to set out to catch a tarpon where would you go? We don't have to catch big 100 pound plus fish, we just want to go someplace that has a lot fish, with a good chance of both of us catching some. What say you guys and gals?

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool
5,686 Posts
Eminent Brother,
Roland martin just did a tarpon show and I think he said the Flordia Keys in May to June is the best time for tarpon. You guys are high rollers, so why not head south and get yourselves one of the high priced tarpon guides.

·
Registered
442 Posts
On the west coast of Florida, fly into Fort Myers and then go to Boca Grande. It is near Port Charlotte. It is one of the best places in the States. Email me and I will give you the guide's name. Coach23

·
Registered
6,708 Posts
Can I come?:D

I'm gona go for a tarpon in April while visiting the grankids. I'd like to get a sail too :rockon: ----------------------------

·
Registered
225 Posts
We went last may in Key West. I can tell you that they have a rediculous amount of tarpon. We saw them every where, every marina, restaurant etc. Getting them to bite was another issue. We took a half day trip and hooked into one with only minutes left to out trip. I'd highly recommend Capt. Paul Tryon, he really knows his stuff, changed our trip from day to night, because that's when they were biting. And sure enough as the moon rose all the boats around us hooked up.

Here is a link to him:

http://www.h2okeywest.com/capt_paul_tryon.htm

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Jack, you could b-mail fishingrod as well. He was down in the Keys last year and did pretty well on Tarpon. I think it was May/June as well. Seems like the right place at the right time from all of the responses.

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool
6,372 Posts
Jack Isla is the Place as others have said they were in the shallows cruising almost everywhere when I was there a few years ago. I saw no Mention of the FAMED Patapsco Permit on your list of Species,I know you've hooked up w/them before...:fishing2: :clap:

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
About 10 years ago, I got a serious urge to catch a tarpon. Over a 4 year period, I booked several trips in the Keys and three trips on the Gulf Coast of FL. the first four trips came up empty. Finally I found a guide who is obsessed about tarpon -- Capt. Robert McCue. This man lives, eats, and sleeps tarpon. He is good at catching them too. (www.gianttarpon.com)

My friend Mike and I booked two half-day trips with him in early May 2002. We fished around Boca Grande Inlet -- not a remote and private spot, but the large tarpon are there. We ended up catching 6 tarpon ranging from 75 to 170 lbs.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Believe it or not....when you compare airfare, hotel and meal cost as well as the cost for guide or charter...Costa Rica is actually cheaper.

I go every year and competition has pushed cost lower, and the Rio Colorado is as close to a guarantee as you can get for both Snook and Tarpon.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Last May myself and the lovely Jennifer Brown fulfilled our lifelong dream of catching a tarpon. My research said Boca Grand was THE PLACE to be, and so it was!
We nailed big fish after big fish. Didn't land half of them. The Boca Grand Pass is THE place to intercept tarpon on the Gulf Coast.
Fished with Capt Kenny Hyatt.

http://www.floridatarponoutfitters.com/

Our mate for two of the three days we fished was ex big leaguer Doug Creek, also a guide now.

http://www.captdougcreek.com/Florida Fishing with Captain Doug Creek.htm

Had the time of our lives.

·
Registered
7,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Believe it or not....when you compare airfare, hotel and meal cost as well as the cost for guide or charter...Costa Rica is actually cheaper.

I go every year and competition has pushed cost lower, and the Rio Colorado is as close to a guarantee as you can get for both Snook and Tarpon.
dc, Can you give me any info on where to stay and who to fish with? Jack

·
Registered
7,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for all the info guys. Keep it coming, it looks like a trip to FL or Costa Rica is in the future.

·
Registered
858 Posts
dc, Can you give me any info on where to stay and who to fish with? Jack
HB,

Here is the link to one of the places I stayed. I stayed at some mom and pop type places...but there are no links:

http://www.riocoloradolodge.com/photopages/8426

If you fly into San Jose, Sansa has a 2 times daily flight to the area for about 50 bucks. Rio Colorado lodge also is much more english speaking friendly.

Lemme know if you want more info.
Don

·
Premium Member
1,295 Posts
wHEN THEY START GETTING THICKER

I'll post on the New Florida Keys Board
When I was staying at Capt Pips Marina and Hideaway
I caught several tarpon 100# off the 7 mile bridge (was in a boat)

and I jumped about 8 more and landed 3 while on the dock at Capt Pips

They can be caught!!!

I stayed at Pips because the rate included a really nice room, clean etc, close to everything in the Keys and it included the use of a boat every day I stayed there...

·
Registered
654 Posts
Are there any guides that you know and have fished with?
I usually DIY (PM me if you want tips on that), but try the guys at Bud n Marys marina, they are all pretty good. Almost all local guides are ok esp. for tarpon, there isnt much to finding tarpon. Bones, Permit, fly action, then some guides probably stand out but Tarpon are much more of a slam dunk, at least to hook!

Boca is good but I dont find it enjoyable because of the traffic and close quarters of the fleet and the monster tackle typically used there.

Costa Rica is surely good, and as suggested not overly expensive but neither is the keys really.

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
Islamorada - Sportfishing Capital of the World! Look up Capt Bill Welder. home 305-744-4474 or cell 305-395-0850. He's from around here but has been down the Keys for about 15 yrs now. Fishes out of Cudjoe Key 12 miles or so north of Key West. Tell him I referred you. John Deering steered me toward Bill. Is a TFer known as William. Fished with him a couple times. He has a 21SE. Check out his website (and the pics of me with a black grouper). www.CaptainBill.net

I also have a couple other guys right out of Islamorada I've fished with: Capt Jeff Pfister 305-451-5903 - guarantees you a tarpon.
Or Capt Steve Griswold 305-853-5425 - He's out of Worldwide Sportsman now I beleive. Good luck and let us know how you make out.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Costa Rica!!!!!

Jack: Costa Rica, The Rio Colorado Lodge is about as good as it gets. I have fished there 3 times. Caught all the tarpon I wanted up to 125# LTJ using mono.:D The best fishing is at the mouth of the river in the ocean. Some days, we landed a dozen tarpon and had as many jump off. In fact, as the day wore on we prayed that we could lose them after several good jumps.
You will also have to put up with huge Jack Crevalle and Cuberra Snappers. The howler monkeys will wake you each morning. You have to fly into San Jose from Miami and stay overnight and fly into the Rio Colorado the next morning. An absolutely great experience. Caught a fish bat one evening on a Rapala fishing for Machaca and snook.

I have also caught tarpon at Marathon Key and also in the mangroves near Goodland.
It was also fun, but no comparison.
Tight lines,

1 - 20 of 37 Posts