Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered a Heritage Marquesa kayak today!! [excited] Hopefully, I'll have it by this weekend; certainly I should have it by our next meeting.

Stay tuned folks!!!!!!!!!!! [grin]

·
Registered
204 Posts
Congratulations there Phillet! You already have the beard now all you need is a parka to complete the look![grin]

Seriously, that looks like one stealthy, fish catching vessel. I know you are going to have years of enjoyment from it.

Don't forget a life jacket, especially if you decide to make a run to the outer wall! Check out the inflatable ones that are much more comfortable and less restrictive to wear. I have the belt pack type but there is also the suspender type.

Enjoy!!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, I know I'll have fun with it for years to come. [excited]

Right now I'm scrambling to clear a spot in the ol' garage to store it, plus finalize a rack of some sort for my Jeep.

As far as a pfd, yes, I need one. I've been looking at them, just don't know what I want yet. The yak will not hit the water until I have one for sure!

·
Registered
204 Posts
Hey Phil, I have two yaks hanging from the ceiling of my garage using ropes and pulleys with a cleat on the wall. Makes it easy to raise and lower and doesn't take up valuable floor space. I've seen in catalogs that somebody makes the whole assembly and you might even be able to raise and lower it right from the roof rack on your car. At least that is what the advertising shows but you know how that goes!

My yak rack is a Thule (pronounced too-lee) from Sweden and you can select the rack to fit your vehicle from their website.

You might want to study this roof rack thing closely. With mine, I have to lift the boat over my head which I can do alone but it is easier with a helper. If you are going to be doing it alone most of the time, you might want to consider the ones where you lift one end of the boat and place it on the rear rack, then go to the other end and lift it up and slide the boat forward. They even have models with rollers on the rear to make the move easier.

As I get older, I have found it is getting harder and harder for me to lift my kayaks and canoe over my head to load it onto the roof rack. I wonder why?[wink]

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I figured a rope and pulley system of some sort in the garage will do the trick. I have VERY limited space in there, as it is full of antique car and assorted parts for same. [sad]

Anyway, as for the rack for my Jeep, being the true Scotsman I am, I have an idea using a pair of gutter mount ProLine standard roof racks ($49.00, 180 lb capacity). If the rear one is placed far enough back, yes, I should be able to do as you said Mr. Bill; lift one end up and set it on the rear rack, go to the other end, lift and push. The other option I have is I have a small utility trailer I could build a rack for, but I don't want to have the extra wheels behind me.

I'll figure something out...

·
Registered
88 Posts
Some people transport their yak upright and some transport it upside down. If you are going to do the upside down thing, watch what you attach to the boat. A good friend of mine took his on vacation with just the small blue foam blocks and the boat did not move. It was straped down to the roof but sat on the blocks.
Rick

1 - 7 of 7 Posts