Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2 Okuma reels and I have been using them for about 2 years now and I really like the one I have but they do not sell it anymore so I have been checking out others. I have been looking at these 4, V System, Epixor EB Series, Travetine and the Salina. Has anyone used any of these and if so how do you like them. Thanks for any input you can give me.

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
Steve-

I got an Okuma Alumina last year from Boater's World and love it. Its got extremely smooth drag and retrieve, instant anti-reverse. Half the price of the VS. Unfortunately, according to this year's catalogue, BW only carries a UL model of the Alumina.

I also have 2 Epixors and find them to be very good reels for the price. The Travetine and Salinas are new models this year I think. Don't have any experience w/ them.

I think the VS has 15 stainless ball bearings and the Epixor has 9. The Alumina also has 9, and is smooth as butter.

·
Premium Member
7,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey John, You are right about the VS they have 15 Stainless Steele BB and the Epixor have 9. The Salina and the Travertine each have 4. I looked at the Alumina and I really liked that one as well and I really like the blue accents on it. I would like to get 2 more reels but not sure which ones to get.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Be careful about comparing ball bearing counts as Okuma is notorius about overstating bearing counts. They have an excellent website that gives schematics on most of their reels. You will see a common design on many of their models- go from there.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Steve,

I have 6 of the Epixors... They are all 5 years old. The finish has flake off in many place, rendering them ugly. The reels however are all functioning fine. A good reel for a good price. I have told myself that as the okumas where out, I am going to replace them with penns, but as if yet I have not had my first casualty... The same Okumas serve duty on the charter boat as bailing rigs. Not too easy on the reels. I have worn out some drag washers, but that is the only maintience problem I have ever had. They are ugly, but they still work good... Sound familiar!:D

·
Premium Member
7,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes Chilli it sounds just like those rods you have “Ugly”. :D It’s good to know that those reels are still working fine and I don’t care what they look like as long as they work. Hey I have your kite rod done but I'm not sure the tip is going to work for those swivels to go thru it. I’ll be out this Sunday so keep that in mind maybe we can fly a kite off the stern of your boat…..

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Steve -

I have an Exipor EB50 and I love it. I haven't put it through a ton of abuse due to lack of fishing time; but man its smoooooth. I love the bait feeder option as well for live lining and such. One of these days I'm going to have to order a new rod for it from ya!

·
Premium Member
7,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey Matt how’s things going???? You are right that is one thing I like about the Exipor is the bait feeder, JP has it on his reels and it good to have when your live lining those perch. Need to hook up this year so give me a call…. And I can set you right up with a nice rod for that reel.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Check Your E-Mail !!!

Hey Steve, Check your e-mail ref to this. I'm going to try to get up with you sometime this week.

·
Registered
4,308 Posts
I spent all afternoon on Sat cleaning and prepping 12 rods and spinning reels for use this season. Most of my reels are Shimanos, and all but two of those are Stradics. A few weeks ago, I bought a new Shimano Symetre from Ele at Herbs Tackle Shop. I am curious to see how it compares in peformance to the Stradic. They have almost identical specs, but the Symetre is $30 less.

I have two Okuma Epixors. Both of the Okumas showed a lot of loss of finish on the handles. I had the same thing happen other years with Tica reels. The Epixor 30 with baitfeeder feature sounded rather noisy this year -- not a god sign. I tried relubing it but it didn't improve.

Another thing to consider is the gear ratio. As I was looking at new reels recently, I closely examined the gear ratios. The Stradic and my other Shimanos have a fast 6.0:1 ratio while the smaller sized Okumas (20 and 30 size) are 5.0:1. I can really feel the difference when retrieving lures through breaking fish. Personally, I prefer the faster retrieve ratio.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Loved the Okuma VS Until...

:eek: I got a VS last year and extolled its silky smooth drag and performance...until the anti-reverse gear stripped out on me after about 6 months. Luckily it comes with a 5 year warranty.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I've beat on a set of Avengers, Coronados and Epixors for three seasons. No issues with any of them and I can tell you that the Epixor baitrunner is the go-to reel when livelining is hot. Nothing like hearing that baitrunner drag cooking out while Mr. Striper is giving Mr. Spot a close up of the esophagus . . . it's a beautiful thing!

·
Registered
293 Posts
I have an Epixor and a VS. Both are butter smooth but the finish is coming off on the Epixor. 2nd year of heavy use on the Epixor, the plastic washer inside the handle disenigrated. Called Okuma and they were very nice about getting a new one out to me at no charge. Took a while to arrive but I will continue to buy Okuma. Great product for the price IMHO.

·
Registered
28 Posts
check out boaters world. they have a 50 and 65 series on sale for 29.99 each. I think that is a very good deal. I believe they are 50% or better off the original price. I just bought on of each the other day.

·
Premium Member
7,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for all the input guys and I think that I’m going to look very closely at the VS or the Epixor because of the bait feeder. I know that a lot of you said about finish coming off on them and that does not bother me as long as then continue to work. Thanks again for all of your suggestions.

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
Now that you mention it, I have a 4+ year old Okuma Alyssa and the "chrome plating" on the handles is toast! I also have a 3+ year old Epixor and the same thing has happened to that handle- all the shiny plating has flaked off. The bodies of both reels are fine, but the handles are both U-G-L-Y! But still work fine....

1 - 20 of 22 Posts