Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like honest opinions on the Titus T-30 and Titus T-50W. I don't get to bluewater fish often and was wondering if these might be an upgrade from Senators. Let me have 'em, good or bad.

Thanks a lot.

·
Registered
9,785 Posts
I still have a few left as I migrate over to all Tiagras. I would say they are OK, but just OK for the majority of fish you'll catch in our area. The golds come with 5 year warranties. I have run them side-by-side with my Tiagras and I will say the drags are not nearly as smooth as the Tiagras. On the Tiagras, when a fish is taking line, you can feel that it's a smooth steady pull at whatever pounds you set the drag. On the Okumas, the drags are not as smooth and I can feel it going from 15, 16, to 18 back to 16, ect., ect. I am concerned that this jerkiness could result in lost fish. When fighting big offshore fish, you want your drag constant. So while I say they are OK, I am moving to all Tiagras. But the Tiagras are about double of the Okumas so it's a slow process until I hit the lottery.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I had no love for the Silver series Okuma reels I owned, got rid of all of them. The graphite ones may serve you well if you want something cheap for a few trips here and there. My reels had the drag lever lock up and\or the handle lock up on 3 of the six reels. A friend bought one of them from me, cheap, and worked on it a little and has had no problems since. We will all tell you something different on any given subject, but all will likely agree with "Buy the best you can afford and can justify with the amount of use they will get."

·
Registered
13 Posts
Run Titus Gold 50 wides, TG 30's and TS 50's. The old Titus silver with the cast frame was a piece of **** but Okuma replaced them with the new graphite style for free. I have great luck and caught some big tuna with no problems. Also can't beat Okuma's service...no questions and fast. I also have a couple big Okuma spinning reels for drum....would put them up against shimano any day.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.