Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Inherited a 20' outrage. Boat has sat for 3 years. Approximately 20 gallons of gasoline in a 70 gallon, below deck tank. Does it need to be "pumped" out? If so, how and is there anyone , company, that does this? Thanks

·
Registered
6,854 Posts
If you have scuppers in the transom you can disconnect the fuel line from the engine and run it through the scupper and siphon it into a gas can. You won't get all of the gas out but you'll get most of it. Top of the tank with fresh fuel and add some Chemtrol B-12 to clean the system. If you don't already have a fuel filter, add a system such as a Racor spin-on and hit the water. Other than that you may have to do it the hard way through the sending unit port.

·
Registered
3 Posts
If you have access to compressed air, just disconnect your vent line and add JUST A LITTLE (1-2 p.s.i.) pressure to the tank. It will push all of the old gas right out of your feed line (appropriately routed to a collection recepticle.) Just be careful; a little air pressure goes a LONG way (READ: Don't burst your tank.)

No compressor? You can blow on the vent line and achieve plenty of pressure (just have a friend nearby to catch you when you pass out!)[grin]

·
Registered
4,381 Posts
[Q]rgajewski originally wrote:
Inherited a 20' outrage. Boat has sat for 3 years. Approximately 20 gallons of gasoline in a 70 gallon, below deck tank. Does it need to be "pumped" out? If so, how and is there anyone , company, that does this? Thanks
[/Q]

I had the same problem with a boat I got about ten years ago, but the gas was about 8 years old. Yes, there are companies that will pump out your tank for about $1 per gallon. Here's the catch. To haul it away will be in the hundreds of dollars! Soemthing about where it has to go and how much they have to take there and how they cannot store the old gas........ a lot of garbage if you ask me.

I siphond the gas out using the feed line to the engine and raun the flexible tubing I hooked up to run out trhu the scupper as the poster above stated you could do. To get rid of the gas, I would run the car tank down low and then add about 5 gallons to the tank and fill it up with fresh gasoline. Worked like a charm.

Since the tank in the car (Jeep) was a 20 gallon tank, 5 gallons represented 25% of the tank's capacity. Twenty gallons in a 70 gallon tank represents close to the same ratio only you gas is newer. I'd probably just fill it up with fresh 89 octane making sure I had a good filter on the gas line to the engine and run it out. If the correct type filter is used, it will filter out any dirt along with any water. Inexpensive spin on filters are available that will work fine.

If you want to be absolutely sure, then drain using the method mentioned above and refill it with mid-grade gasloine. Good luck.

·
Registered
78 Posts
i would rather run the old gas in my car or lawnmower than my boat. if the car or lawnmower cuts off, it's not as big of a deal.

·
Registered
6,854 Posts
Check the local landfills. The one in my area takes gas/oil/af/paint/brake fluid from homeowners for recycling FREE.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts