Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently came across an old reel.--- J.C.HIGGInS Model 47F .......... Can anyone shed any light on this? It was mounted on a 5'6" two pc Bamboo rod w/ only 3 guides.......Thanx, BOB

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Without having my reel in front of me, I would have to say it is a fly reel...and a very good old one. Very smooth silent drag with settings 1-4. Believed it was made by Ocean City as it resembles their model 77's and some 76's. Can you post a picture?

JC Higgins had reels that sometimes shared the same numbers over the years also. Might be a baitcaster too if it's on a 5'6" rod, but you know how people can stick whatever wherever.

·
Registered
8,065 Posts
have to be a baitcaster on that short of a rod- there are several on ebay pretty cheap too

DOES IT LOOK LIKE THIS BOB ?

Glad ED got you a new hideliner installed in your too truck man-

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Not familiar, but looks like a small jigging or trolling reel (maybe around the size of a Penn 9 or 109?) and not of the knuckle-busting drag-less baitcast variety. Should work out very well with that rod. Give her a good cleaning and grease job.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
J C Higgins was the trademark for Sears Roebuck. Just looking at it, it sure resembles Penn stuff, but then Ocean City did also.
Great shape for the age -- probably 40+ yo
budc

1 - 6 of 6 Posts