Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend and myself went turkey hunting on our farm recently and we saw two of the biggest turkeys that he has ever seen. I say he because I'm new to the turkey hunting scene. He has killed them over 20 lbs with 12" beards. They are in a bottom area with grass fields and hedge rows and a swamp on one end that is at the time dried up dew to drought. We had decoys out and he can call real well, but the two monster turkeys hung up just out of range and went into the swamp underbrush. Should I try just setting up where I saw them a couple of times or ty to call them? Should I still use decoys or not, chancing that they will come out the way I've seen them in the past? Do they remember seeing someone and being spooked in an area and are hard to call in that area again, or do they have a bird brain and forget things quickly? I know I asked a lot of questions but, like I said I'm new to turkey hunting. Thanks

·
Registered
166 Posts
Try getting in right at grey light without using a flashlight to within 20 yards or so from where you saw them last. Sometimes they get really persnickety about crossing over a 6 in wide creek or even stepping over some brush.

I would avoid the decoys and call only sparringly ( tree calls and clucks). After about 7 or so and if you havent located them, let out a vicious fly down cackle then shut up for about 20 min. If they aren't henned up they should come a lookin' for you.

Remember the older they get, the less they sound off; watch out for the silent slip in.

It usually works for me; hope you slam him.

·
Registered
887 Posts
If you can't get him... give me a call. My friend is the state turkey calling champ and can probably call him in ifor you if the bird is not too terribly call shy. 757 784-7796 Where are you located? -Kepone

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Get in the swamp with them where they don't expect you and set up just inside the edge near where they come out. The old ones don't like to leave the security of the swamp to come out into a field, so take it to them. My $.02 and keep us posted.

Feeshon

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Went after old smart swamp monster again this morning. My friend and myself were on a different page this morning, he was about 1 1/2 hrs. late. We didn't start hunting 'til about 7am and the birds had already come down from roost. I set up about 150 yrds. from where I saw the two monster turkeys about 2 weeks ago. I was in a tree line on a large creek. We set out two decoys and called for about 1 hr., and a hen answered me but wouldn't come on down the creek. When we got ready to leave we saw the two swamp turkeys comming up the bottoms in our direction and they saw us and went back into the swamp. Probably another 1/2 hr. calling and we would have had them. We went way back around them and came into the swamp from another direction and set up and call for 1 hr to no avail. I'm gonna have to get there before sun up to tag one I guess. It was still an intresting hunt, we saw seven deer about half of them were large and one was a buck. They all had their brown spring coats. Maybe next time old mister smart monster swamp turkey will be mine!!!

·
Registered
311 Posts
If you know you're the only ones out there, set out your decoys with a jake. If you think you've over-called, hit the gobble call a few times now and then. I have yelped and then gobbled to my own call. It may drive away a single tom, but if they know they're the big boys, they may come in looking for a fight. Make sure you have at least two hens to make it work their while. They should if anything, come out to investigate who gobbling with hens on their turf.

Mike

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Moe - make sure you set up on the side of the creek that they fly down on or they will hang up and drive you nuts. Good luck.

Feeshon [grin]

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Freeshon it's a property line creek and there are turkeys on both sides the ones I'm after pretty much stay on our side. The creek is about 20 yrds. wide but if they want a hen they would probably go over there. The bottom land consist of fields devided by drainage ditches, not very deep maybe knee deep and less. It covers about 30 acres but the turkeys mainly use the end and lower strips or fields near the swamp. They cross the ditches pretty often but when I'm calling it may be a different story. I think I need to get there before sunup for the old smart ones and wait it out. They were comming the last hunt we made, but we left too soon and they saw us. Oh well, it wouldn't be as much fun if you just ploped down anywhere and shot one ever time. I'll either get him or not, like my signature says either or not. That can be my quest. How long does a turkey live, provided nothing shortens his life? To answer Anything-Goes, our farm is about 170 acres and I hear owls calling all times of the day. I think it may be tresspassers at times, and we have caught people deer hunting before, so I don't know if we are hunting alone or not.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts