Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
[q] I received the following information earlier today from a person who works in fishing industry insurance:

We have now spoken to Omega Protein and are advised their menhaden processing facilities at Cameron and Abbeville are lost. We now believe there are no procesing plants left in the Gulf, with Omega only having a plant in Virginia. They also advise some of their vessels in Louisiana have damage and they have lost two spotting planes. Would imagine they will relocate any undamaged vessels to Virginia[/q]

---NOTE --I being originator of report --NOT I---

--Last sentence I think of importance, also would think spotter plane re-location-

-----And the Crews & Maintaince personel---& the winter unemployment burden---

--As a Isabel flood victim, my self I can only wish them the best if they re-locate---[sad]

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
----Hey Down Yonder ----Just that there is the possiblity of Omega putting more pressure on the Chesapeake bay---Till the Gulf plants can be rebuilt--[smile]

·
Registered
656 Posts
I saw some areal photos of Venice La and the area. Two Menhaden boats on shore about a half mile inland. They were not battleship grey though so doubt they were Omegas.

I have always thought that fishery is on it's last legs. I bet the boats will not be replaced. In a American shipyard which is required by the Jones act they would cost millions of dollars.

No one in his right mind would invest that amount of money considering the sport fishing pressure on commercial and the likely hood the fishery will be closed at some point.

Menhaden production will go offshore just like Tuna, Shrimp, Ground fish, and all the other American fisheries.

When they are all gone who are we going to blame for all our problems ?

Boats

1 - 7 of 7 Posts