Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
va. pilot front page local headline says a coast guard captain might CLOSE O. I. WITHIN WEEKS! apparently the dredge can't keep up with shoaling sand & funding was cut dramatically. this is really gonna suck. better go while you can.

·
Registered
120 Posts
This is the future of federal participation in many local projects. For example, the Feds have contributed 65% of the cost to put sand on the VB resort beach, and to maintain Rudee Inlet, and Lynnhaven Inlet. VA Beach is taking the proactive approach of adjusting the city's budget to assume 100% of these costs. City Council will be briefed Tuesday on alternatives to consider. In the past, federal money was not budgeted, but added by way of earmarks, but that is not expected any more. It's a sign of the times.......

·
Registered
85 Posts
Folks, if you don't pay for something, then you don't get it. You cut the federal budget for dredging, and you don't get dredging. Talk to your Congress-person.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I would be shocked if NC did not get involved sooner than later...Assuming inlet closure disallowed the Charter Fleet, Commercial Trawlers, and Recreations to use the inlet, the revenue loss is staggering. On a perfect day, the OI fishing center (including charter revenue) likely books over $60k in revenue plus add-on meals, hotels, etc...It's a big #

I'm not an engineer, but NC should get their state professionals involved in a long term solution.

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
I agree with all the comments above.

I saw on another post/site that the state of NC nets just under $700 million from activities related to the use of OI. Perhaps spending 20M, or 30M, every year is just the cost of doing business. Certainly a great return on investment if those numbers are anywhere near close.

Brian

·
Registered
406 Posts
I'm sure the bird watchers will be able to offset the loss in revenue if they close the inlet and all the beaches to driving... Things are falling apart down there... I hate to see one of my favorite places to visit in the position it is in now... They should be dredging 24/7 down there to prevent this from happening...

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Brian nailed it. Would you want $20 million your Federal tax dollars to go to Arizona to dredge Lake Powell so it can make $700 million? More and more states will have to pay their way, adn the Federal government should step in only if the project is needed for the good of everyone and the locality can't pay for it. The same logic will be applied to building the new bridge there--billions and billions for one county's benefit, adn one with a sparse population and only a few businesses?

Personally I'd hate to see the area and access to it compromised in any way, but we (USA) is out of money, folks. We ahve to take a business-like approach, not an emotional or nostalgic perspective.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts