Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Friend lives on Glebe Creek off of the South River. He has a hut on the pier and usually drinks his coffee in the hut before heading to work in the am. They have a raft floating I front of the pier. The other day when he headed to the hut there was an honest to goodness seal laying on the raft. He went to get his camera but seal booked before he got back. Strange but true story. Believe it or not

·
Registered
20 Posts
Friend lives on Glebe Creek off of the South River. He has a hut on the pier and usually drinks his coffee in the hut before heading to work in the am. They have a raft floating I front of the pier. The other day when he headed to the hut there was an honest to goodness seal laying on the raft. He went to get his camera but seal booked before he got back. Strange but true story. Believe it or not
Probably an otter. See them all the time in our cove on the Severn. Definitely not a seal. Tell him to either start having his first cup of coffee before he leaves the house or have his prescription checked.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Oh, I can believe it... Was in OC - NJ for a couple days and saw hundreds of whales floating around on rafts :eek2:

·
Registered
589 Posts
agree was probably an otter though it is possible a seal swam up to south R there should have been ample sighting in the bay before this.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Few week's ago a cobia was caught off of love pt. Why not a seal taking a napp off south river . My money is on an otter but you never know.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Oh, I can believe it... Was in OC - NJ for a couple days and saw hundreds of whales floating around on rafts :eek2:
So now you're claiming to be a certified whale watcher. Did you use binoculars and did your wife catch you? LOL If you kept on looking, it's a sign, LMAO.

·
Premium Member
26,133 Posts
Might be same guy who ghosted up on me while I was scuba diving off Thomas Point.

I turned around to see a boat about 10 feet away ( totally ignoring the diver down flag flying from my boat ). They had camera aimed at me - told me they thought I was a seal ???????? Guess the black hood I wear might look like a seal head - maybe,

I was too surprised to make a wise crack - they turned boat and headed out.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Otter. If you have a spot pot make sure the lid is pinned down tight. For two weeks last season we lost numerous spot and thought someone was raiding our pot only to discover otters were cleaning us out.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
So now you're claiming to be a certified whale watcher. Did you use binoculars and did your wife catch you? LOL If you kept on looking, it's a sign, LMAO.
GOOD ONE... LMAO2

Didn't need binos...these things were HUGE. I believe most were humpbacks :D ....my wife actually named a few :clapping2:

Seriously though, we did adopt a mom & baby humpback (Salt & Salsa) a few years ago while on a whale watching trip off Stellwagen Bank :thumbup:

Back to topic:
I also agree that as rare as it seems it surely could have been a seal (prolly an Otter). I believe there was a Manatee sighted @ HDG a few years ago.

·
Registered
589 Posts
it was many years ago and i was along the Patuxent River & was sure i was seeing a giant sea serpent with undulating coils moving slowly toward me. (of course i know there is no such thing, but that is what it looked like. ) I hid in the bushes and watched while i was a bit scared. Not until they were much closer could i determine what they were: a family of river otters

1 - 13 of 13 Posts