Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought you guys might enjoy this. My cousin emailed it to me. Caught on Waseosa Lake. The last picture is unbelievable!! This guy hooked a 36" pike and as he was reeling it in a 56", 55# pike tried to eat it and the guy netted them both. Pic looks pretty legit. Pretty cool.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
False story bud...
The top pike is European..... no pike like that in North America. The fins...coloration.. it isn't a Pike from our side. The one in the bottom picture clearly is.

Here's some info on the real fish...
I think it was caught in Holland. Look at the snap swivel, the minnow (bait)... etc for scale. The fish in the bottom image getting eaten is not much longer than 20 inches..

The entire universe fell for this one...

September 10, 2008

You studied it. You debated it. You drooled over it. But you never quite believed it, did you? No pike picture in history blazed through the Internet faster or more often than this photo. Most e-mail chains claimed the fish came from Rainy Lake, Ontario, and was caught when it attacked a 36-inch pike that had already been hooked.

Wrong.

The monster fish, which weighed an amazing 42.9 pounds, was caught in 2004 on a lake in southern Holland by Dutch angler Ewout Blom.

He was trolling a perch-patterned Rapala Super Shad Rap when he noticed his rod bend slightly. It straightened, then bent completely. He set the hook and battled for five full minutes, including a few tense moments when the giant thrashed at the surface. The pike measured 50 inches (127 centimeters if you're Dutch).

"The mystery is over," says NAFC Executive Director Steve Pennaz. "You can tell by its coloring and the shape of its fins that it's a European pike."

Here's the real story...

Monster Snoek!

From a pike anglers club in Great Britain....

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh well. I was a little skeptical but I wouldn't know a European Pike from a Marsian Pike. Never caught one or fished for 'em, only the smaller cousin (pickeral). Still a pretty cool story either way. Thanks for bursting my bubble. :D

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
You have been caught by the Tidalfish Police. But who reallly cares. The pictures are great. If it's not caught in Maryland it really doesn't matter where it was caught. I did appreciate your posting it. I especially enjoy those that tell the size of a fish from a picture. Especially since water magnifies most fish anyway.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
No matter where it happened, that last pic is pretty cool.

·
Registered
466 Posts
False story bud...
The top pike is European..... no pike like that in North America. The fins...coloration.. it isn't a Pike from our side. The one in the bottom picture clearly is.

Here's some info on the real fish...
I think it was caught in Holland. Look at the snap swivel, the minnow (bait)... etc for scale. The fish in the bottom image getting eaten is not much longer than 20 inches..

The entire universe fell for this one...

September 10, 2008

You studied it. You debated it. You drooled over it. But you never quite believed it, did you? No pike picture in history blazed through the Internet faster or more often than this photo. Most e-mail chains claimed the fish came from Rainy Lake, Ontario, and was caught when it attacked a 36-inch pike that had already been hooked.

Wrong.

The monster fish, which weighed an amazing 42.9 pounds, was caught in 2004 on a lake in southern Holland by Dutch angler Ewout Blom.

He was trolling a perch-patterned Rapala Super Shad Rap when he noticed his rod bend slightly. It straightened, then bent completely. He set the hook and battled for five full minutes, including a few tense moments when the giant thrashed at the surface. The pike measured 50 inches (127 centimeters if you're Dutch).

"The mystery is over," says NAFC Executive Director Steve Pennaz. "You can tell by its coloring and the shape of its fins that it's a European pike."

Here's the real story...

Monster Snoek!

From a pike anglers club in Great Britain....
Thanks for the true story!

·
Registered
Koah Roller Speargun, 100 Euro
2,937 Posts
And now you know...."the rest of the story".

·
Registered
44 Posts
while the fish with the guy in it was caught in europe (old pic) anyone that thinks pike in north america can't have some similar coloration just doesn't know what they are talking about. anyone that thinks that way is welcome to come over my house and look at 4 albums worth of pike with similar markings.

·
Super Subscriber - I support TidalFish.com
1,109 Posts
They do grow em big in upper Sasketchewan... and they eat flies too... But I do beleive Tony is right about that Pike being of European decent.

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts