Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
26,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Left Sandy Point at 7:30 am with fellow TFer Blue Lou. Ran south east on a flat calm bay.

May be an image of nature and body of water

Hard to believe it had been blowing 30 knots 12 hours earlier. Set up near #87 - figured be a lot of boats near Bloody Point. We had 4-5 others trolling general area but everyone stayed far apart. Meter was showing fish deep so Lou sent a wire line rig deep.

We trolled about an hour and checked few lines - all clean. VHF radio chatter was quiet - no fish. Current was moving nice ( outgoing ) as a slight breeze picked up. Conditions were good - water 50* and slight tinge. Likely from heavy rains few days prior.

Trolling west across channel edge - planer rod got hit , hard. I took rod down as line was going off reel. I keep my drags very tight - Lou and I knew this was a good fish.

Lou slowed boat - love the digital troll on Yamaha. All I could do was watch line going wrong way - braid to mono backing knot almost in guides. It was a steady fight with fish going deep as it came towards boat. Lou reeled wire line rig up to clear starboard side. He asked where my net was - I told him I don't use net for C/R fishing.

As fish neared boat - we got glimpse of huge tail. Lou and I both knew what was next - I was backing off drag a kiss as he recommended it. Often big fish do one last power surge at boat.

Fish did as expected but soon was near boat. Lou took rod and I leaned over to grab fish. Pulled her in as the lure ( 2 oz white parachute ) fell free.

We were amazed at the broad shoulder and girth - one very heavy fish. Easy 50 lbs and just over 48 on the ruler with tail wide open.

May be an image of outdoors

We did not push to get exact measurement - wanted her back in water ASAP. Lou took few quick photos as I put her back over. She was gone with nice tail slap.

May be an image of Skip Zinck and outdoors

We reset lines and circled area - hoping for another hit. Had one planer board rod bounce but when checked - nothing seemed to have hit it. Shad was fine and hair still perfect.

We fished until about 1:45 - getting checked by NRP officers as we racked rods. Wind was picking up but easy ride back to ramp.

Only got one bite but it was a very nice fish.

·
Registered
11,081 Posts
Left Sandy Point at 7:30 am with fellow TFer Blue Lou. Ran south east on a flat calm bay.

May be an image of nature and body of water

Hard to believe it had been blowing 30 knots 12 hours earlier. Set up near #87 - figured be a lot of boats near Bloody Point. We had 4-5 others trolling general area but everyone stayed far apart. Meter was showing fish deep so Lou sent a wire line rig deep.

We trolled about an hour and checked few lines - all clean. VHF radio chatter was quiet - no fish. Current was moving nice ( outgoing ) as a slight breeze picked up. Conditions were good - water 50* and slight tinge. Likely from heavy rains few days prior.

Trolling west across channel edge - planer rod got hit , hard. I took rod down as line was going off reel. I keep my drags very tight - Lou and I knew this was a good fish.

Lou slowed boat - love the digital troll on Yamaha. All I could do was watch line going wrong way - braid to mono backing knot almost in guides. It was a steady fight with fish going deep as it came towards boat. Lou reeled wire line rig up to clear starboard side. He asked where my net was - I told him I don't use net for C/R fishing.

As fish neared boat - we got glimpse of huge tail. Lou and I both knew what was next - I was backing off drag a kiss as he recommended it. Often big fish do one last power surge at boat.

Fish did as expected but soon was near boat. Lou took rod and I leaned over to grab fish. Pulled her in as the lure ( 2 oz white parachute ) fell free.

We were amazed at the broad shoulder and girth - one very heavy fish. Easy 50 lbs and just over 48 on the ruler with tail wide open.

May be an image of outdoors

We did not push to get exact measurement - wanted her back in water ASAP. Lou took few quick photos as I put her back over. She was gone with nice tail slap.

May be an image of Skip Zinck and outdoors

We reset lines and circled area - hoping for another hit. Had one planer board rod bounce but when checked - nothing seemed to have hit it. Shad was fine and hair still perfect.

We fished until about 1:45 - getting checked by NRP officers as we racked rods. Wind was picking up but easy ride back to ramp.

Only got one bite but it was a very nice fish.
Glad to read Blue Lou is still around. He was my favorite Poster Fisherman. I never knew what the hell he was trying to say in his posts but I always read them and laughed. Oh Yeah , glad to read there is still one Striper left in the Bay. I thought they were all up the the Bay now from what I've been reading on other boards.

·
Registered
11,081 Posts
Hard to believe that not that many years ago you'd read about 18-30 big fish days caught on boats this early up and down the Bay on this board.

·
Registered
894 Posts
That is a really nice fish Skip!

I also miss Blue Lou's posts. I guess he is busy confounding people on Facebook.

Pat

·
Registered
147 Posts
Congrats on a big fish. But sad to hear you only caught one fish. Over the years I remember you posting reports of multiple fish this time of year with what you call your "beat to hell lures". Sure miss those reports.

The writing is on the wall, we have less fish. Is it possible they've changed their patterns as well? The reason I ask, during this time people seem to be marking fish in deep water the last several years. Since they don't catch them we're only assuming they're rockfish. If so, is it possible the fish strictly use the bay to migrate to and from the spawning grounds?

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Thanks for the report Skip, though it was only one a nice one indeed. WTG

·
Registered
20 Posts
You earned it, and I'm sure you appreciated it. " any amount of self sacrifice and dedication is worth the ultimate victory,. For to to the victors go all the spoils and the glory. To the loser goes only the ability to rededicate himself to becoming a winner"....Reggie Fountain (Remembered from his high school football coach). You earned it. You work your but off! I wish I had your job. 👍

·
Premium Member
26,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Jonzi - People will only do what you INSPECT them to do. Another great Reggie quote and one I live by.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts