Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tfer's,

I have been considering doing away with the boards and going back to conventional trolling. Most of my trips are done with " Green " helpers and fishing has become more like work.. The boards have been very sucessful for me over the last 3 years, and that's why there hard to give up completly. Does anyone pull just 1 board?

Shawn F

·
Premium Member
26,108 Posts
Alot of private guys do and some charters do as well.You can turn easier with just one.

Right now though- the board bite has been hot.To me- it is worth the hassle-even with a new crew.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
When its just me or me and a greenie, or boat traffic is nuts, I'll pull one board--usually port side. It makes turns much easier and gives you 1/2 to worry about. Try one board before you get rid of both!

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
I only pull one...in fact I only HAVE one. I got the idea from Capt. Wayne Morgan, who suggested it at a seminar he gave at the Upper Marlboro fishing show last winter.

On a small private boat like mine, I usually only have 2 or 3 folks on board. In the spring the the 1/person limit, how many fish are you planning on catching? It's one thing if you are a charter with a full 6-pack, and really want to get everybody on a fish. But a small boat? Between my boat rods and one board I run 9 rods...that's plenty for me.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Come on
you got to run planers and 15 rods to catch a fish.
Oooohh
and dont forget down riggers and out riggers.

Havin fun now ?

·
Registered
10 Posts
One long and one short

I agree one board would be easy to deal with.
But I like to pull one board at 75' and the other at 125' it makes it a lot easier to turn on these fall fish. joe

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
I pull one board off the port side of my boat. My line is 75' long. I pull 4 rods on it. I also got the idea from Capt. Wayne. He only used one board when I fished with him in the spring. I want to try 2 next year.

·
Registered
864 Posts
I pull one board with a couple lines on it. Works fine, especially if I'm fishing short handed or it's crowded. Less to keep track of.

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
I think Captain George said he only runs one planer and an outrigger. So he can turn easier.
--Yup, Always --Allows me to turn sharp to work my loran numbers , Wheres theiis one , there will be another --Big fish Travel in Pods Planers One -Or Two are not for the Run & Gun fisherman--By the time you clear & retrive em --the only tingyou will see upon the call location , will be Feathers On the water --geo.

·
Registered
8,589 Posts
I may get into pulling boards eventually. (I sold mine a year and a half ago). However I pull 9 lines without them or outriggers. I may not smack quite as many fish but I believe if you cover the water column, you will catch fish if they are there. Dont get focused on how many lines you can run but rather covering a variety of different depths. I get my shallow lines by running lines off my hardtop with light weights back further than my other lines. Put your long lines out first and the run the lines deeper and deeper as you get closer to the boat. Downside to pulling a lot of boat rods are you are limited on pulling spoons to careful depth/length placement and you have to rotate rods some to get fish to the boat.

·
Registered
728 Posts
I agree with b-faithful, more important to cover the water column. I use outriggers and can pull 12 rods no problem and I can also turn a 180 with no tangles (most times:D)
Taylor

·
Registered
4,571 Posts
I fish boards if I'm fishing anything more than 4 or 5 rods. To me it's just plan easier to deal with the lines out on the boards. I'd rather have all the rods up and out of the way and keep the back of the boat clear of lines. Makes getting fish in the boat a lot easier with rookies on board.

The boards also stop the guys that like messing with the tackle all day :thumbup:

·
Registered
410 Posts
I run one board with a green crew to break them in. When I run one board it is the left side so I can easily see it while I'm running the boat. There is no effect on my steering the boat or the way my boat tracks w/ one board. My board lines are 75' and I put four lines off each board.

·
Premium Member
26,108 Posts
Golfish - I'll make you just one board.I sometimes have to make one for people who lost one.Send me a B-mail if you want one or a pair.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts