Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well opening day started out with torrential downpours right before day break but I had to give it a go. Had 3 does pass by just as the rain let up around 0700 and about 15 minutes later granddad trails the does out in the marsh at about 125 yards. A nice main frame 10 point in about the 130-140 class. No shot opportunity as I watch him slip out of sight. I gave up as the rain, thunder and lightning move in around 0830. After drying everything out I'm back on the stand for the afternoon in hopes of a second chance. Well granddad failed to show but this guy steps out into the marsh on the same trail headed in the same direction. Fortunately he changed his mid and slipped back into the wood line and comes in behind the stand at about 50 yards. 8 Point w/17 inch inside spread weighed in at 135.

Hope granddad shows up this weekend.

Wally

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Requirements

If you are active duty or retired you're elidable. They also take in a few civilians if you submit a request early on in the year. Basically all you need is an ID Card, your Va. Licenses and proof of passing a hunters safety course. A hunt permit cost $30.00 a year and they have small game, deer and some duck hunting. They use the troop training areas for hunting and if taining is not being conducted the areas are normally open for hunting. They have ladder stands placed in the hunt areas so you are assigned a stand for the day and there are rules designed to make the hunt as safe as possible. You submit your name the day before you would like to hunt (this can be done over the phone) and hunters are assigned the next available stand as your name is pulled from the box. In 21 years I can only remember 2 days that there wasn't enough stands to go around. That's the basics of how it works. If you'd like more details you can reach me at 757-877-3798. I'm normally home by 6:00pm and I can fill you in a any details.

Wally

1 - 4 of 4 Posts