Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like most, not a fan of the opening day crowds, but we've turned it into a annual reunion of sorts, as my two best friends come down from NJ for the weekend.

Lines in on the line in Eastern Bay at 5:45 - 12 rods - 9 tandems and 3 singles. Make first pass and actually had room to turn around and make second loop in that area. Swing out wide on southern 35ft edge that typically holds fish in the summer / fall. Start marking bait and few fish and bam - board rod goes down - best friend from NJ reels in fat 38-40 ish - didn't measure or bring on board as she hadn't spawned, quick release and nice tail splash to my face. Caught on a single 8oz - blue sparkle head with white hair back 7 bars. My 5 year old picked it out at Chesapeake Outdoors because it was sparkly / pretty.

Adjusted Rods and swung back through that area for few more passes as had the most marks and bait. 3rd pass and goes down - friend reels in 30-32 male fish - perfect dinner fish - but too short this year. Released back quickly.

All of this was by 7-7:30 - figuring going to be a wham bam day. Proceeded to troll all of eastern bay, out into main bay, down 84a edge over towards 83. On west edge in 40-50 foot around 11:00 finally found some bait and few marks, and actually some space as most of the crowd as in 70-90 and too the north as awesome word of good bite by the bridge had been relayed to everyone. Trolled the 83 area in 40-50 until 12:30 as we had to start pulling gear as had tickets to caps game and by then had good hour boat ride home to the Narrows. Down to 3 rods and one board and bam, rod goes off, reel in another fat high 30 fish. Quick release and called it a day.

Overall talking to several people - lots caught 1-2 during that 6:45-8am bite and then no one did anything after that. My meter read around 54-55 degrees all day - down to 53 in some spots while crossing the main channel. I figure it's still early and with a little warm up the season will turn on in a week or two.

Sunday looks too nice not to try again. Leaving the dock at 11 with wife and kids for another try.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Thanks for the detailed report! It is early. I believe it won't be long, 2-3 weeks, before the spawners begin the trek back out of the rivers.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts