Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like JMH I'm also looking for a boat in the 19-20 ft range. Preferrably a cc with a 4 stroke. I can get a maycraft 19 with a 115 4 stroke for under $20K. I'm retired and on a fixed budget. Would love a Parker or G-W but can't afford a new one. Most of my fishing is inshore but I occasionally go a few miles out when the weather cooperates.
Anglerdave

·
Registered
650 Posts
I know 2 people that have a maycraft, they really like the boat. It is a well built boat, and will hold up in rough water. Hope this will help you out . Doug.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Angler Dave,

I purchased my Maycraft in August and have been very pleased with the build and value of the boat. I had it out almost twice a week till the second week in Jan (my yard turned into a mud pit and since the ground hasn't frozen, I haven't moved it) and the economics of the 4S and this hull is great. My fuel bill was $320 for the year. I have the Johnson 140 4S and it is a great motor. I added a few simple upgrades from the dealer, aluminum T-top and upgraded to a aluminum trailer for 19K. There is a dealer here in Va that does offer a good price, but at the time, the dealer I chose in NC offered the best price and service. I was able to do most of the deal over the phone. They are very close to the dealer and a trip to see the factory and get a boat would be a great weekend. Well worth the drive. The only thing I would mention is that this boat can give you a pounding in rougher seas. It was a great choice for me and good luck on your decision.
_______

1900 Maycraft / J140 4S

·
Registered
129 Posts
I have the 2300 CC with the GIL bracket. It can handled some rough water. The ride however can be pounding in rough water especially in the ocean.

Steve

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanx for the info. The boat does not have a deep V in the stern so I can appreciate the it would pound in the ocean. I don't know of any boat in this size and price that would ride well.
There is is a dealer up here in PA who has a 19 with a J115 4S T Top and some other goodies for about 20K. I see Eds marine in Ashland VA has one stripped for 16K but I've read some bad things about that dealer on this site so I'm reluctant to go there. Plus its a good way from here. However I wouldn't hesitate to travel a ways to save a couple grand.
I see Ed's also has a 19 Sea Boss with a M115 4S with a few accesseries for about the same price. I am a little reluctant to buy a Merc only because I don't know of any good dealers in my area for service.
ANGLERDAVE

·
Registered
129 Posts
[Q]anglerdave originally wrote:
Thanx for the info. The boat does not have a deep V in the stern so I can appreciate the it would pound in the ocean. I don't know of any boat in this size and price that would ride well.
There is is a dealer up here in PA who has a 19 with a J115 4S T Top and some other goodies for about 20K. I see Eds marine in Ashland VA has one stripped for 16K but I've read some bad things about that dealer on this site so I'm reluctant to go there. Plus its a good way from here. However I wouldn't hesitate to travel a ways to save a couple grand.
I see Ed's also has a 19 Sea Boss with a M115 4S with a few accesseries for about the same price. I am a little reluctant to buy a Merc only because I don't know of any good dealers in my area for service.
ANGLERDAVE
[/Q]

ANLERDAVE,

I bought my boat from John at this site in 2003.
http://www.bayracermarine.com/docs/newboats.php

·
Registered
24 Posts
AnglerDave,

I can't remark on the ride of a Sea Boss, my wife and I liked the simplier design of the Maycraft. I have been to Ed's Marine a few times and even visited with them at the boat shows. I just wasn't comfortable with doing business with them. Here is the dealership I used....
http://www.collinsboating.com
They are listing the 19 with a 115 Yamaha for $19,995; the same price listed in August of last year. As I mentioned, I upgraded to a J140 4S and the aluminum trailer with t-top for 19K. The salesman mentioned that they were in possession of a whole trailer of J140's and may still offer them at a great price. I have no qualms about recommending a NC dealer. Being retired military, I try to get the most bang for the buck.
_______
2006 1900 Maycraft / J140 4S

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanx again for the info. I'll contact them either tomorrow or the next day and see wfat they say. I'll keep you informed on whats happening.
Anglerdave

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Anglerdave,

If you going with a Maycraft, give Gootee's (http://www.gootees.com/) a call. Although I didn't purchase my Hydrasports from them, they still treat me like family.

BTW, all the Maycrafts I've seen over the years were all solid boats. Some may not want to hear it but I feel they are built ever but as tough as a Parker or any boat designed for commerical usage in it's size range.

- Dae

·
Registered
327 Posts
Stay away from Ed's. My personal experience with them was very bad. They only care about one thing and it isn't the customer. Remember, if you go there you have been warned............... Check out Chatlee's or any of the other discount dealers - just not Ed's.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanx for the info on Ed's. I bought a motor there a few years ago but never had any trouble with it. But I wasn't real happy with their attitude.
I'm still searching for a boat. Was out of town for a few days and got back just in time fro the big snow. I sent Collins an email but they didn't respond. Maybe tomorrow I'll make some calls but have to take wife to Dr's
Anglerdave

·
Registered
8,588 Posts
I purchased my boat from Almars in DE last summer. They are no longer a dealer as another place picked up the brand in DE (I think Rudy's). you may want to call Almars in DE and see if they have any left overs.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Still looking for a Maycraft 19 with 4 S OB. I called Almars and Rudys and a few others and they don't have anything that interests me. Gootees price is a little high. E mailed and called Collins but they never answered either. I have another place in NC I want to call . What bothers mme is that if you have troouble with the boat, are dealers in the area going to fix it? I'd hate to drag the boat 500 miles for minor service.
Anglerdave

·
Registered
24 Posts
anglerdave,
Sorry to hear about the difficulty in contacting Collins. If you can get thru, talk to Brian. Since the purchase of my boat, they have called twice to check and see how things are going and if there was anything they could help with. They are also a Hydrosports and G3 dealer and I was impressed since I didn't buy one of their higher end products.
There is a dealer (Maycraft and Johnson) here in town, I believe they are affiliated with Ed's Marine and they performed my 10hr service. The maintenance side of the house is a seperate entity and there was no issues. I was surprised. They did ask if my boat was purchased from them and they said that if they had sold the boat to me I would get priority. Just happens the day I took it in they had another to do and it was a little slow. In and out in the same day. The dealers rib me more about having the 4S rather than the E-tec.
Good luck.....

·
Registered
22 Posts
AnglerDave,

Bought mine a couple of years ago. It's a 23'CCX and have really enjoyed it. I fish the sound on the coast, local lakes here in the mountains and down in Florida when I can get down to see my folks(going the 1st of March!!!) You would enjoy the boat. They are well built and economical for the class of boat. I bought mine from a dealer in eastern Carolina and the service since the sale has been excellent. In Havelock, N.C. it's BayRacer Marine. 1-877-BOATMAN. Talk to John McKenna. It's a seven hour trip for me across state if I have to go....but also a good excuse to get to the coast for a few days of fishing. Best of luck.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Talked to Bayracer Marine. Yhey may have someting that interests me. Going to Charleston naxt week so I may stop there on way.
Do you think a 115 4S is enough power or Should I try for something bigger. I think the boat is only rated for 140 max.
Thanx again fro the info.
Anglerdave

·
Registered
22 Posts
You might check the difference in cost in the two engines. If it is not a huge spread I would probably go with the max. horsepower. While you might not get a great deal of extra speed in the larger engine, you will be putting less demand on the engine for the same speed. My 23' calls for a max. HP of 250 and I went with 200 and have been very pleased with the Suzuki engine. Extremely quiet and fuel efficient. I have been calculating it at about 3.2 GPH for running and trolling. Good luck with BayRacer. It seems to be a good outfit and helped me out on a couple of issues I had with the engine when I first purchased the boat. If you need more info send me a PM.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts