Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings,

I'm thinking of buying an older whaler because I found a good deal on it, plus it would be cool to have a little crabbing and lite fishing boat. I has a 1987 90hp Merc on it. I have only really heard negative things about them, mainly that they over heat. The only two people who have had them both say they couldn't get rid of the problem.

Has anyone had good luck with these? Or merc in general I don't want to buy more hassles.

Thank, Tim

·
Registered
200 Posts
I love my Mecury but it is a newer one. I think any outboard that is close to 25 years old would give you potential problems/hassles it just part of owning an old boat, IMO.

·
Registered
552 Posts
I own a Merc 2002 2 stroke 90hp and a same year 8hp. Both motors have given me problems... Sorry I don't know anything about the older Merc, but I would expect a 24 year old motor to have issues.

·
Registered
4,391 Posts
I have a 1989 135 Mariner V6, basically a Mercury assembled by a newcomer to the industry, Yamaha. I've replaced the oil and fuel lines inside it, not a big deal, they got old and cracked. Some minor things that I repaired after searching the internet for answers. Check the compression, lower unit oil, and take the cowling off and see how it looks, ie, signs of work, or pay someone to do it. I saw a motor just like mine on swamp loggers last week, I think the old 2 strokes are workhorses, not hanger queens like the new stuff. Make sure to say a few extra hail mary's for polluting the atmosphere because they are not the Prius' of the boating world.

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
I have a 1990 4 cyl Merc 100. I've replaced the fuel pump diaphragm and the molded "t" hose in the oil injector system. Had the carbs cleaned and synched 10 years ago. Replaced one of 4 coil packs, and the "down" trim relay. It has been abused and still starts every time, has never, ever stranded me. I fully endorse Merc. products of that vintage. And- you can fix it w/o a computer.
Edit- FWIW, mine had eaten a reed and metal went all thru the motor before I got it. My mechanic refused to warrant his repair due to scuffing and the like he found inside the case and 1 cyl, that cyl wouldn't pass the leak down test. Again, this was 10 years and several hundred hours ago. YMMV. Engine runs fine, but doesn't like to idle out of gear due to the low cyl. being one of the cyls that it idles on. Off idle, no difference, runs strong. Will idle in gear all day.
Pat in Joppa

1 - 5 of 5 Posts