Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just replacing some of my reels for this upcoming season and was looking into the ssg series. I know the ssm series are excellent but was looking for a little lighter reel for casting. Anybody have any pros or cons about these would be helpful..thanks Brandon:thumbup:

·
Registered
673 Posts
My wife has the 4400ssg on a custom rod. We`ve had it about four years now. The reel is still very smooth and the drag system is still like new.
The only thing I have had to replace is the drag knob.
Just a couple of months ago we were out in the boat and I noticed something laying on the gunwale. It was the drag knob! The housing had cracked and the outer part of the knob fell off. I`d never seen that before. The drag still worked because the nuts, washers, spring was still there on top of the reel.
As for the 550ssg, I just bought one today. I`m pretty sure I`ll get some good use with it.

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My wife has the 440ssg on a custom rod. We`ve had it about four years now. The reel is still very smooth and the drag system is still like new.
The only thing I have had to replace is the drag knob.
Just a couple of months ago we were out in the boat and I noticed something laying on the gunwale. It was the drag knob! The housing had cracked and the outer part of the knob fell off. I`d never seen that before. The drag still worked because the nuts, washers, spring was still there on top of the reel.
Thanks for the info im looking at the 440 for the misses aswell... if it has held up for 4 years with only a minor repair it sounds pretty good. Keep em coming:thumbup:

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
I have a 430 and a 440ssg. They are only 2 seasons old and I cant claim they have a ton of use on them, but they have been good. FYI, now that the reels are built overseas.....there has been a little quality control issue with the reels. The problem is that some screws are not getting tightened correctly at the factory and it has been suggested by some, to remove the side plate and check all screws.

Bill

·
Premium Member
1,804 Posts
The new ss series are junk. If you don't fish much then you will get a couple seasons out of them with good care. They are nothing like the older models. If you want something that will last, go with the slammer. Just my opion, i've been through a lot of reels.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
I agree with the slammer. I have a 360 slammer with 300yrds of 30# power pro and have caught striper to 41". Fun fishing with a light yet strong set up. Martin

PS:Reel is on its 3rd season and no problems.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I've had problems with my slammers corroding even though I rinse them with fresh water after every use. Is any one else having this problem.

·
Registered
9,443 Posts
I have 3 Slammers 360, 460 and 560.

No trouble and no corrosion. I bought these when they first came to market years ago (USA built) and they have been used a lot.

If I had it to do over I would have bought the bait runner series though.

Dennis:))

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
I have a couple of 440ssg reels and they have served me well. The only complaint I have is IMO the bail spring is weak.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have to agree with some of the other posters here in that the newer 440, 450, and and 550 ssg reels aren't as tough as the old 4400, 4500 and 5500 ss reels. I've been pretty pleased with my 550 but you do have to keep them clean and check the screws from time to time. Penn makes a great product similar to Amour All that you spray on reels and rods to clean and protect them. I haven't had any corrosion problems since i started using it. Some of my fishing friends have bought the Captiva or Sargus series by Penn and they have had great luck with them so far for a lot less than a SSG series. I still use my 14 year old 5500ss more than any of my other reels. It just won't die and is still smooth as butter.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts