Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for the for the best place to buy Opti-oil, and possible buy it in bulk. I also need to find some Quicken, I'm new to the Opti's and hear that the Quicken(mis-spell???) should be used every other tank. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks Mike

·
Premium Member
4,735 Posts
Mike,
i have found the best place to buy "Opti" oil is Bass Pro.
However, the product is no longer labeled as "Opti-Max" oil.
It is now labeled "DPI" oil.
it shares the gold bar on the label as the "Opti" oil and states on the back that it is indeed intended for OptiMax motors.
at goes for about $22 -$23 a gallon but it is still cheaper than the dealers $25-$27 a gallon.
At this point I have not found any other manufacturer's oil (Penzoil, etc.) that will fill the warranty requirements at a lower price.
as for the Quikleen you should be able to find it at BPS, as well.
i use the Quikleen in the winter as part of my winterization, per the manual and again mid season.
I have not heard that you need to use it as frequently as you said.
where did you hear that?
hope this helps.

Mark

1700CC Proline
MSSA NW Chapter

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is the oil at bass pro Opti/DFI or is it just DFI? I have lurked on other web sights and read several post on the Opti-Max's, they have been very informative as far as the up keep on these outboards(THE HULL TRUTH.COM or Continuous Wave.com), check them out and do a searchon the opti-max.

·
Premium Member
4,735 Posts
Mike,
the oil I originally used was labeled "Optimax" the newer oil is labeled for DFI and states on the back that is is the oil recommended for fully warranty compliance.
also I have been talking about Quicksilver lubricants not Mercury.
they are both the same.
i will check out the web sites you listed.
always looking for more information.

Mark

1700CC Proline
MSSA NW Chapter

·
Registered
18 Posts
The opti oil has the gold label on it. It is the prefered oil but you can also use premium plus oil, it is the oil that has the blue tag. That is what merc was telling the dealers to use when the opti's first came out and most dealers will use that when you get your new boat.

·
Premium Member
4,735 Posts
mercurytech,
i was told (by a tech at a Merc dealer) that the premium plus oils (& other TCW-3 oils)do not adequately lubricate the air pump.
these oils are intended for use as combustion chamber lubricants and do not have the proper lubricants for the air pump.
he told me that if I plan on putting a lot of hours on the motor I will have problems down the road with the air pump using the premium plus.
i would like to find a way to save some $ on oil but we put a lot of hours on our motor and hope to have it last a long time so I'm willing to spend the extra for the Opti oil.
have you heard differently?
let me know what you can.
i appreciate the feed back.

Mark

170CC Proline
MSSA NW Chapter

·
Registered
18 Posts
If you want to talk to some dealers they can order you a 55 gallon drum of the opti oil for about $500-$600. Merc has specials going in the spring and fall with free shipping. That would be an expensive inital payment but then you are looking at about $10 per gallon. Get a couple guys in the club and go in on a drum.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts