Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,735 Posts
Mike,
i have found the best place to buy "Opti" oil is Bass Pro.
However, the product is no longer labeled as "Opti-Max" oil.
It is now labeled "DPI" oil.
it shares the gold bar on the label as the "Opti" oil and states on the back that it is indeed intended for OptiMax motors.
at goes for about $22 -$23 a gallon but it is still cheaper than the dealers $25-$27 a gallon.
At this point I have not found any other manufacturer's oil (Penzoil, etc.) that will fill the warranty requirements at a lower price.
as for the Quikleen you should be able to find it at BPS, as well.
i use the Quikleen in the winter as part of my winterization, per the manual and again mid season.
I have not heard that you need to use it as frequently as you said.
where did you hear that?
hope this helps.

Mark

1700CC Proline
MSSA NW Chapter

·
Premium Member
4,735 Posts
Mike,
the oil I originally used was labeled "Optimax" the newer oil is labeled for DFI and states on the back that is is the oil recommended for fully warranty compliance.
also I have been talking about Quicksilver lubricants not Mercury.
they are both the same.
i will check out the web sites you listed.
always looking for more information.

Mark

1700CC Proline
MSSA NW Chapter

·
Premium Member
4,735 Posts
mercurytech,
i was told (by a tech at a Merc dealer) that the premium plus oils (& other TCW-3 oils)do not adequately lubricate the air pump.
these oils are intended for use as combustion chamber lubricants and do not have the proper lubricants for the air pump.
he told me that if I plan on putting a lot of hours on the motor I will have problems down the road with the air pump using the premium plus.
i would like to find a way to save some $ on oil but we put a lot of hours on our motor and hope to have it last a long time so I'm willing to spend the extra for the Opti oil.
have you heard differently?
let me know what you can.
i appreciate the feed back.

Mark

170CC Proline
MSSA NW Chapter

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.