Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Spoke to a few captains and some are saying its the best its been in 10 years. 100 plus fish days, schools of fish for miles. Non stop catching. Legal to 50lbs.

Sure is nice to hear then all of the "horror stories" that you read on here of the depleted populations. Hopefully all the complainers and can get south and get in on the action.

·
Registered
8,845 Posts
Aaron had one yesterday and there was also a bigger one caught. Right now the water is only about 41 degrees at the 3 mile line, but the fish are there. Most everyone, even those who prefer light tackle jigging, are trolling. The jigging bite has been practically nonexistent. Hope that changes. I am going to start looking for a weather window after Jan 12. Will have access to a boat down there for the rest of the winter. Plan to go every week we can get a window, but in truth some weeks are just impossible. If we get three or four trips, we will be fortunate. On any given trip, we will not come home until the weather changes for the worse. Last year the weather windows were so narrow our trips averaged two fishing days each.

With the severe and lasting cold snap this year, the majority of the stripers are in a relative small area of the coast. The fact that they are catching stripers does not speak to the size of the overall striper population at all. I would still encourage recs to put most of the big breeders back.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I'm calling BS... Of course everyday can change, but I was there over the weekend and can give you all a first hand overview.

99% of all fish being caught are by trollers. So if trolling is your thing, you have a much better chance. Its just not my cup of tea.

From the Inlet, North, to well past the Wright Monument, from 6:00 AM to 4:00 PM, inside the line, outside the line, up to the beach, etc fishing was SPOTTY at best. NOT ONE, and I mean NOT ONE, Pelican insight. MAYBE, just MAYBE, 10 Gannets at the most. And they were all doing there own thing in transit. Bait was IMPOSSIBLE to find.

Granted there were 200 plus boats, mostly concentrated south of the Monument. But the radio all day was nothing but a non stop ***** fest, "Where are the fish " ?? and these are coming from reputable charter captains. ( you know who I speak of)

So take that report with a grain of salt. The " Best in Ten Years" not a chance in hell. I'll probably never see what went on there four years ago. THAT was the best in ten years.

LTJ 'ers, as much as it pains me to say this, bring a few trolling rods. Just to kill some time, if need be.

Coasties and DNR are all over the place, make sure your boat is up to date, your catch legal, and your licenses available.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
you can bet your fanny if the fishing were the best in 10 years I'd have my NC license and living on my boat in Oregon Inlet........unfortuneately I'm sitting here in St. Leonard with my thumb in my A$$.......no doubt guys are catching fish but like Phil and Brian said.....LTJ'ing is a tough tough gig down there.

·
Registered
6,349 Posts
you can bet your fanny if the fishing were the best in 10 years I'd have my NC license and living on my boat in Oregon Inlet........unfortuneately I'm sitting here in St. Leonard with my thumb in my A$$.......no doubt guys are catching fish but like Phil and Brian said.....LTJ'ing is a tough tough gig down there.
Running and gunning with A67s, 4K open array, and Steiners at the ready, if one insists on jigging, but you're right Pete, that's not the way to go down there. Thumb up your arse? don't do that, wanna go jigging for cod?

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
blue lou...I finished up my open array install just 2day...don't fish the ocean w/out it I say. I got wind of a bite ABOVE the entrance of the bay I mite just investigate here soon. I would bet the bulk of the fish down VA/NC way r outside 3, probably by a good bit based on the SST.
I bet they are outside the line,i also bet the trawlers are out there enjoying the bounty while the coastguard is busy makeing sure they aren't disturbed by the rec's

·
Registered
370 Posts
Reports from the VB charter fleet would have made you think the same. For some reason, nobody else could limit out in 30 minutes though. Can't blame them as that's how they make their living, but the math just doesn't add up. The only truth is that there is no truth in advertising.

·
Registered
12,450 Posts
I'm sure ole Rick (Capt. Kill) let her swim off too right? :wink44:
Oh I doubt that very seriously....not to many "conservationists" out there...in that area anyway..
Also I don't think the fishing is that great...his last 2 reports were all trolling...he likes to jig for sure...I fished with him for 3 years..this is the week I always booked and the fishing was quite amazing each and every time we fished with him.....water was rough as hell but fishing was amazing...haven't been back in 5 years now...prices went way up..first time I ever got to witness first hand...whales just outside the surf and acres and acreas of gannets and bustin' bigguns, as many big fish rolling on top as you could ever imagine.....He would put 5 trolling rods out...when he found'em he would put trolling rods away and we start "fishing"...or LTJing...Have some great video footage..

We were the first guys that fished his boat that used Bass assasins...before that he was using striclty "red-eyed albino micro commandos as he called them...aka Red bucktail/white feathers....:clapping2:

Attachments

·
Registered
294 Posts
bill quote "With the severe and lasting cold snap this year, the majority of the stripers are in a relative small area of the coast. The fact that they are catching stripers does not speak to the size of the overall striper population at all."

I don't concur. there are rockfish offshore or n.j all the way to south carolina in the ocean. then someone else just mentioned a bite north of the mouth of the bay. the rockfish populations are okay. it is the bluefin we should all worrying about.

I think the bite in n.c. and everywhere has been good. when the fish are scattered trolling is always better. LTJ is better when the weather is even and slow cooling. then they get bunched up and it works best. plus some 12 yr old kid just caught the nc state record out of OI. On the rigged up. I would imagine they were trolling. hmmmm.

·
Registered
8,845 Posts
"there are rockfish offshore or n.j all the way to south carolina in the ocean. then someone else just mentioned a bite north of the mouth of the bay. the rockfish populations are okay."<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
I do not concur with your assessment at all. I catch stripers everywhere I go because I follow them north and then south. If you are not on the concentration, you will not do much. Talk to many charter captains and guides who you know well enough that they tell you straight and they are hurting. The economy is part of it, but lack of fish is a bigger part.<o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
I guess we will just have to disagree on this one.<o:p></o:p>

·
Registered
34 Posts
Jamie, if your showing off, so am I.. This is January 06'. It was just sick....:yes:

The last pic, the top water bite was INSANE. Raining Gannets everywhere, rock crashing anything and everything around them, bait jumping out of the water, and I caught an f'ing pelican.....:roflguy::roflguy::roflguy::roflguy::roflguy:

Attachments

·
Registered
12,450 Posts
Brian..showing off is fun ain't it!......:high5:

I'm with Bill on this one.......fishing is just not as good as it used to be....trolling what's that?.......:help:

1 - 20 of 59 Posts