Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How hard is it to navigate the inlet? I will be going out in a 21ft cc and my buddy has me worried since the current rips. Also he almost sunk his boat there apperently. Tried to google some things but found more info on how the inlet was made and how they are trying to restore the depths

·
Registered
53 Posts
I would say its not bad at all depending on the day. If you're smart about it and don't try it on a rough day especially with easterly winds, you'll have no problem.
Wait for a nice day with something like SW wind at 5-10, and 2-3' seas. Best bet is to follow someone out of the fishing center to get a track going through the sound.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Follow no one, either they know exactly where they are going or have no idea where they are going. Follow the channel markers if you have never been. Yes it's longer around but safer. The sound side is the worst part to me. Pick you day, watch the wind, North, NE or E, SE no more than a slight breeze. NW, W, SW, and you should be good. Don't cut short the markers once out of the inlet either, run on out at least to the last 3 before the sea buoy. Coming back is the tricky part, hard to see the breakers. Again, start at the sea buoy or so, watch the waves coming up behind you, don't let them catch you or you will get "surfed" not fun. All of that is if the swells are up or wind picks up. Most of the time I have been out have been no problems at all.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies guys! I really can't wait to fish the area but wanted an idea what to expect. I been watching some YouTube videos. Your comments do math some of them when the winds are blowing. I also never trust the boater in front of me, I will follow the markers. Rather play it safe than sorry

·
Registered
21 Posts
I ran in and out numerous times in June of 2014 in my 17' whaler no problems and saw some john boats doing the same. You will want to take the short cut from the ramp to the bridge - it's a LOT longer if you follow the official channel. The short cut is marked with small round buoys I followed a charter boat the first time. As somebody else mentioned, the sound side can be tricky, lots of shoals. If you do follow, choose who you follow carefully.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks again for the replies guys since it's helping out a lot. Last question, since I will be down there late august. What kind of fish should I expect to try for? I am interested in Spanish and cobia. Would like to try for dolphin if it isn't to difficult to get out there

·
Registered
432 Posts
Yep Spanish, small blues in close maybe some chicken dolphin and you might run across a cobia. If you run on out you will have a better chance at dolphin and depending on how late in Aug you might find some kings. I think they caught a king off the pier last week or week before.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts