Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trailering the Rock Crusher down from Richmond on Friday night. She's a 25' Seafox Walk-225hp. Maiden voyage from OI. Been fishing her on the bay and Virginia Beach since Feb. Trying to get an idea of where to run for Tilefish, Cobia, Drum, Spanish, Blues and Dolphin. Haven't checked the weather yet and don't have much tackle for Tuna. Pretty much all I have is a few 330's for trolling Umbrellas, Stretches and Cripled Alewives for Rockfish. I was hoping to hear some suggestions. Would love to bring home some Mahi, any help appreciated. I am Familiar with the Brideg area out of the Inlet but not much else down there. Do have a good GPS though.

"RockCrusher"
257 Seafox
Matt

·
Registered
187 Posts
Provided the inlet is reasonable, you should be able to land some mahi no problem. I have fished offshore of OI for the last 7 years, however my current boat is much smaller and I am only comfortable running the inlet in slick calm seas, as the inlet can become nasty very quickly.

I suggest you purchase a few Islander Tracker trolling lures. You can pick them up at T.W.'s Tackle located at milepost 11 on the main road through the OBX. These lures are trolled on the front of the 3 or 4th wake behind your boat and the Mahi love them. Also, have some cut bait with you. If you see a weedline or any floating debris (and I mean any, like a small piece of wood or plastic bag), motor up to about 50' of it and cast to it. Usually the dolphin will be swimming under it. If you hook a dolphin, keep it in the water until you hook a second one, etc. They are school fish and will show up in hords.

Where to start looking: Head SE out of the inlet until you cross the 2nd color change, its usually about 8-9 miles out. Try trolling along the cleaner side of the color change. Look for water temps in the mid 70's. If you find some concentrations of weeds, also troll around or along the weedline. The dolphin are usually below.

My brother and I will be arriving in the OBX tonight and staying through next weekend, however we will most likely stay inside the inlet with my current boat. If you see two guys in kayaks fishing offshore outside the inlet (2 miles out or so), that may be us. We're hoping to land some pelagics from out Yaks.

If you have any questions, call my cell 240-216-0525. If you have never run the inlet, I suggest you follow a charter out in the AM.

Best of luck.

Matt

Here is a link to the lures http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catalog.TextId?hvarTextId=52807&hvarDept=151&hvarEvent=&hvarClassCode=4&hvarSubCode=1&hvarTarget=browse

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Matt,
I will check it out. I have been through there a few times , beleive it or not in my 16 Seanymph with a 15 hp fishing under the bridge and over by the old Coast Guard station Been a few years since though. The last time I was there we followed the shortcut around the inlet. It was marked by a string of plastic jugs. Is that still there? Anyways, thanks for the info. I will check out those lures.

Thanks again,
Matt

·
Registered
228 Posts
Also try the "G"Tower about 18 miles SE of OI. Lots of Amberjack. Live bait works best. Trolled out to 30F on Wed with little results. Water temp was upper 70's. little concertrations of grass and no floating debris. Talk on the radio sounded like the Dolphin bite was out further, 50F.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Yeah, they'll work. Basically, any fish smaller than the AJ itself is considered bait. The really big ones can eat a really big bait - like a 3 or 4 pound bluefish. Speed jigging with 6 or 8 oz bucktails works too - and there is nothing like a 40 lb AJ snatching the bucktail and trying to pull you overboard. They come close to doing it...
Free spool the jig to the bottom near one of the tower legs, engage, reel like crazy and pump the rod hard - at least 3' jigging motion - hits are not hard to detect.[grin]
T

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OH MAN I GOTTA TRY THAT! WHat Size Bucktails? I have some 4-8 oz I use for rockfish and of coaurse the 32 ounce mojos

1 - 8 of 8 Posts