Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Administrator
18,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Gang

I brought this up about a year or two ago and there seemed to be some interest, but some discussion ensued about where to have meetings etc. Recently a few people asked me about this so I started doing some work on it again. I am a member of the DE Saltwater Fly Anglers and they have a great group of guys and really good meetings and activities. I also have given talks at the VA Tidewater Fly Anglers and they too have a great group and activities. I think MD Saltwater Fly Anglers would benefit from having the same type of organization.

I am starting work on the 5013c non profit status. I am thinking that since we have a lot of anglers from both the Eastern Shore as well as from the Western Shore that meeting on Kent Island is a good in-between location. Open to suggestions here.

I would like to shoot to have our first meeting in March and will start to work on a kick off speaker for that meeting.

If you are interested in being involved in helping or would be interested in joining please post.

Open to any suggestions etc.

Brandon

·
Administrator
18,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
BTW, this club will not be associated with Tidal Fish per say. Of course we can use Tidal Fish to promote as we do with Tie Fest. Tidal Fish will also put up some initial money to get it started, but there is no tie to Tidal Fish and we will have elections etc for positions just like a regular club.

Just wanted to make it clear.

Thanks

Brandon

·
Registered
64 Posts
I'd join. Bit far from the lower shore though. Maybe carpools.

When do you think it would get started? From my experience with Trout Unlimited, late winter and early spring and November are best for attracting a crowd.

Ross

·
Administrator
18,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Ross

I think we could always do a car pool with a group from Salisbury or from Easton.
Thinking as I mentioned of first meeting in March and take it from there.

Brandon

·
Registered
102 Posts
Would be interested. Perhaps varying meeting locations might be an option so that long travel times would be alternated between northern and southern participants.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Sign me up. That is a pretty good idea, I have just moved up here, and it would be good to meet some other flyfishers before the season starts. I can help with the club, but just remember to never let me give any casting lessons.
Jason

·
Registered
24 Posts
Brandon: Thanks for the good word on our DE SW Fly Fishing club. We need more Sw fly rodders and associated clubs with their inputs to the sport. This helps to introduce SW fly fishing to beginners and also increase the knowledge to advanced flyrodders. I realize that to get a club going, and continue with increasing strength, you need dedicated and serious people to help. Good luck with your club organization! Regards, Don

·
Registered
341 Posts
Brandon I think its a great idea and we need something like this in MD. I'm in and a friend for sure when not on pampers duty.

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
We use to have one. You know back in the olden days (1960's). It was in balto. We were chapter 5 of "Saltwater Flyanglers of America". Art Simons started it. Good guy. He's gone now. We only had around 7 to 10 members. Their wasn't many people fishing the salt with flies back then. The club went under after a good run. I hated to see it fold. Your right about the delaware clud. Good buch of guys. I use to belong, but droped my membership this year. Your only problem is going to be where to meet. everybody is spread out all over the state, and unless people show at the meetings. Its hard to keep a club going. you may also talk to Don to see how they run their club. I wouldn't run it just like they do, but it does work really well for them.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Sounds like a fun idea Brandon. I'm definitely interested. Thanks to you and TF for helping to get this going. David

1 - 20 of 21 Posts