Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm interested in a little history lesson from any knowledgable phistorians. What is the origin/history of the following named areas in the Bay. Tolly's Bar (Point)? Hacket's Bar? Dolly's Lump? Brick House Bar? Gum Thickets? Wild Grounds? Bloody Point?

I've seen the names for years, and assume that some are named after land owners, but I'd be interested in the straight scoop from the phistory detectives.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Bloody Point was so named because
"English colonists slaughtered a band of Native Americans under the
guise of friendship."

That's from the info the GSA gave for the sale of the lighthouse last year.

- Dae

·
Premium Member
26,270 Posts
Gum thickets-years ago was a forest of trees there.Differant from all the pines.Before loran/GPS that's how guys found the hotspots-by lining up 3-4 landmarks. Skip

·
Registered
546 Posts
In accordance with old folklore, several English explorers were shipwrecked off the coast. One survived and discovered the backwaters of area. The soft white sand, the birds, yes the birds, and the gentle breeze which carried the scent he could only recall from times past. Thus thy name. I belive his name was Sir Yank of Franklin.

·
Banned
4,553 Posts
Wild Grounds... A strong Southwest wind and a strong ebb tide and lots of open water, hence the name.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.