Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick "rookie" question. I started using this last year on my med spinning rods for fresh and salt water and lost several nice fish by the line breaking at the knot or slipping ? I always used a basic ( what my dad called a fishermans knot ) Hold your finger above the eye and twist 6-7 times and put it thru the loop by your finger and then back thru the loop you just made , wet it and cinch it down. Very strong knot on mono but sucks with power pro . I have tried tying another small knot above it and it helps but I know there has to be a better knot. I throw alot of storms and chespeake bay lures during the winter months in the elizabeth for schoolies and have lost a few decent ones on occaision but I like the strength of power pro. Thanks for any advise.

·
Premium Member
1,804 Posts
Clinch knots are no good with braid. Use a palomar. Very easy and the strongest knot you can tie. Look on the pamphlet inside the box of Power pro you buy. It shows instructions to tie...or maybe someone will post a picture for you.

·
Registered
365 Posts
power pro

If you are using power pro, read paper that comes with it. They only recommend the polamar knot. Pro bass fishermen even take it a little farther by using this knot and also using lok-tite glue.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I think it was the Chesapeake board I read this on, but I tried it and it really works great for LTJ:

Tie a 2-4 foot leader on the end of your powerpro using a double uni-knot, then tie a loop at the end of that leader. You can then catspaw the loop onto whatever lure you are using. It makes for really quick lure changes when you are hunting for the color of the day.

The only thing I don't like about palomar knots is I always seem to have about a foot of line left over to cut off every time I tie on a lure.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I use Fireline with the Palomar Knot......Last year I was talked in to using Power Pro 65# test. I had so many break offs with this Yellow stuff, I thought it was my Knots. In the rumor mill I hear the Yellow die causes the line to break down and I wasn't the only one with the problem.....Now I'm back to Fireline 30# test, the Black line. I guess that's what I get for trying to save a few bucks.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I heard ol Mitch was a heck of a knot tying kinda guy ! I'm just kidding Fpierce , I think you meant to reply on the other thread though. Thanks again for all the great advice everyone.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Single or double Palomar, never failed on me. Try pushing the tag end through the eye then bring it bck throug as opposed to pushing a loop through as some guides suggest, it is alot quicker/ easier.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts