Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I got my project boat I always thought I would just put a 200 HP outboard on the back. I ran across a buddy today and he said he had a 250 Yamaha in good shape. He is a mechanic and has done work for me before so I trust him when he says it is good.

My question is this. Other than the HP difference what is the advantage of a 250 over a 200? How much more fuel will the 250 burn than the 200? Is it better to have the extra power?

I have never owned a big outboard and need a little guidance here. Any input is appreciated.

Thanks,

Byrd

·
Registered
20 Posts
Byrd I would put the biggest engine the boat could handle. I would do this because of the differences in weight of passengers,fuel,gear ect. I dont think the amount of fuel use would be much different,except for WOT. Hope this helps

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
as long as you aren't in the carbs the bigger will push the boat easier and you'll get better fuel milage. You will love the Yamaha!!

·
Registered
214 Posts
Check with www.thehulltruth.com and post your questions there. I've read some info about one of the 200 something Yamaha's having lots of issues. HPDI I believe. Please don't quote me as I just browse thru the Yamaha posts.
They could also link you to some great project boat sites, most brand specific i.e. Bertram, Mako, SeaCraft for a few.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
as long as you aren't in the carbs the bigger will push the boat easier and you'll get better fuel milage. You will love the Yamaha!!
sounds about right to me.you can be overpowered(you wont with that engine choice)When I had the "Big Johnsons":D It was too much weight on the stern.I would cruise at 37kt. at around 3800 rpm and running 60kt. around 5400..just too much weight to make a smooth ride.

·
Registered
4,381 Posts
Since I got my project boat I always thought I would just put a 200 HP outboard on the back. I ran across a buddy today and he said he had a 250 Yamaha in good shape. He is a mechanic and has done work for me before so I trust him when he says it is good.

My question is this. Other than the HP difference what is the advantage of a 250 over a 200? How much more fuel will the 250 burn than the 200? Is it better to have the extra power?

I have never owned a big outboard and need a little guidance here. Any input is appreciated.

Thanks,

Byrd
Old rule of thumb has always been 10% of HP would equal your fuel burn at W.O.T. and if you were to back off to cruise (1/2 to 3/4 throttle) you would burn less than 1/2 of the W.O.T. figure. So, knowing that this is a general rule of thumb and not totally accurate your worst case scenario with a 200 would be 20 gallons an hour and a 250 would be 25 gallons an hour.

So there's five gallons per hour difference between the two.

Now hull weight, the dead rise on the hull, and passenger and gear loading all will have an effect on the amount of fuel you will burn as will tides, wind, and sea conditions. The rule of thumb above, then, is for calm sea conditions. My boat at 24 degree dead rise, a dry weight of 3950 pounds, a fuel load of 650 pounds and gear runs in the area of what the rule of thumb says. I have a 220 hp engine and at cruise I burn about 14 to 15 gallons per hour.

From talking with you the other night I think we would agree that both our boats have a 24 degree dead rise and the weights are in the same ball park, although yours is a bit heavier. So, I would assume you will burn in the neighborhood of of about 16 to 17 gallons per hour and if it is a two stroke add (at cruise) about a pint of two stroke oil for each 6 gallons of gas burned or about 3 pints per hour (1-1/2 qts per hour). There's your estimated running expenses. :yes:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts