Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool!
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:clapping2:

So I'm starting my garden planning and thinking about how much space to set aside for onions. Never grown em but I have a bag of onion sets to get me started. I don't need many, maybe use one a week for misc. recipes. Does planting one onion bulb yield just one onion? So I need to plant about 20 if I want onions throughout late spring and summer? My garden planner software says to plant them 6" apart.

·
Registered
682 Posts
I'm no onion expert, but I do know that it gets a liitle tricky. some onions that get big don't store well. Your best bet would be talk to Jeff or do some research on the www. Be careful to get the type of onion that will suit your needs.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I like to plant bulbs about 1 inch apart to begin with. During the summer thin out as necessary putting on salads. Starting with a "thick" stand initially helps reduce weeds. Onions are easy and worth planting in a small garden as the flavor is exceptional. If you haven't tried them before a nother must is carrots. Unbelievable flavor and they do not take up much space. Again plant thick to begin with. Good luck and enjoy, half the fun is in the planning and anticipation.
Steve

1 - 3 of 3 Posts