Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've slowly been rerigging my motorless boat preparing to have a motor put on. Everything is installed but the engine controls and the motor and the holes are leftover from the previous motor. Just how hard is it to install a 40HP remote outboard and hook up the controls? I've suprisingly been able to do alot of the rigging myself so far and would hate to pay extra to have someone do something I can do myself. Anyone installed their own motor in the 30-50HP size range? Would like to hear your thoughts and suggestions.

Thanks,
Brian

·
Registered
372 Posts
As long as you have an engine hoist this should be cake as long as everything is centered properly, but since you have the holes from an old motor you should be fine. You might want to play with the height some and try out different configurations too.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Not unless you have a jack plate, and those are about 2-300 bucks depending on what you get. If the shaft length on the old outboard is the same as the new, you should be fine.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hopefully the cav plate will be where it should be using the old holes. If it's not, I guess I'll have to drill new holes.

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
The old holes should be fine. Unless it is really, really old hull. The new motor will probably have three holes to give you a choice. Set it in the middle hole and your will probably be fine. Like someone else said, make sure the shaft lengths of the two motors are the same.

Dayton

1 - 6 of 6 Posts