Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking at a boat to fish fresh and saltwater in and found this 2003 G3 with a 90hp 2 stroke. Question is (i'm kinda a rookie to boating) would this be a bad idea for aluminum in saltwater ? The older fellow here at work says I would have to coat it or something ?One thing I would definetley do is take car of it and keep it clean and flushed but is it a bad idea all together for salt ? I want to be able to fish the rivers like elizabeth , james , hrbt ect...I don't plan on any ocean fishing unless I go out in a friends boat thats a lil bigger. Thanks in advance for any replies. Dan

·
Registered
848 Posts
When my father bought a 16 foot alum skiff I laughed at it and thought it would be poorly built, loud and unstable.

I was wrong, it is very stable and is a blast to ride around in and fish the rivers with. I like it better than our fiberglass skiff. Used in salwater, and no issues.

For the purposes you describe, that boat sounds fine.

However, 90 Hp sounds like a alot of motor for a 16 foot aluminum boat. Be careful! (Did you mean 9hp?)

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info skipjack. No its actually a 90 hp. Thats what I thought about being big for that boat too.It's got a 7' beam on it though. If I knew how to post a pic I would put it on here.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Ive used my aluminum boat salt water for 10 years, and the previous owner did also. no problem, i stop by the car wsh on the way home and give the hull a quick shot with the high pressure hose.

if its built to run a 90hp, id assume its built of heavy gauge plate, not paper thin sheet metal.

just watch for flexing, after 25 years of being fished hard, mine had to stiffened up in the bow, but mine is compltely flat bottom(smacks fairly bad when running).

i see no reason for not to use it it fresh water

danny

·
Registered
58 Posts
The aluminum the boat is made of is made to stand up to salt water use. I think there built with a 60 series alloy. Where most people have problems is if the boat is left in the saltwater for weeks or months tied up somewhere. Allso dont let a penny fall out of your pocket and get lost or it can eat a hole through your hull in short order under the right conditions. No pocket change allowed in my rig!!!
You will need to be careful and not run the boat so your jumping waves and shake the rivits out or bust the welds. I run a 16-10 myself and LOVE it. I did put lenco trim tabs on it though and it was the best money Ive spent. I fish everywhere out of mine.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow lots of good info so far. The boat has never been in salt before and I have to go west to pick it up if I buy it. The one good thing is I wouldn't be leaving it sit because I don't have a slip so when i'm not using it it will be out of the water and cleaned up. I never thought of the change thing so thats good to know also. Thanks again

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It's $8900 and has a $600 custom cover that comes with it. It sounded a lil high but I would try and negotiate with the guy before I buy. The actual model is a 2003 G3 V170C , 2004 yamaha 90hp 2 stroke aluminum prop , it says stablizer fin on motor , garmin fish finder at bow and a lowrance X49 graph at console , cd player and minnkota 55 trolling motor. Do you think that is high ?

·
Registered
157 Posts
salt

Make sure also to clean/seal your electrical connections. I found out the hard way. I am re-working my fuse box and all connection on my 15' bass boat i use in the inlets spec fishing.When you come home from a trip just wash down the boat and run fresh water through the engine.

·
Premium Member
4,887 Posts
If you're set on a aluminum boat w/that size engine, it's a good deal... the G3's are top knotch aluminum bass boats. However, for that kind of money, there's a WHOLE lot available that's more suited to fishing the lower bay, creeks and rivers. Take a look at Boat Trader and Yacht World... for used boats in your price range. I hate to say it, but you can pick up a tiller mount J1655 Carolina Skiff w/25 Yamaha 4-Stroke, boat motor and trailer, brand new from Ed's Marine in Richmond for ~5K.

That being said, there's a TON of fishing you can do with that rig; from the creeks and inlets to near shore stuff... anywhere in the lower bay if you pick your days.

They penny issue is to be heeded! Also, any bird/duck/goose droppings will eat through the aluminum too. Rinse her well, she'll serve you well.

Another plus of an aluminum boat is that it won't get eaten up if you run her over an oyster bar... and there's a lot of shell piles inside the inlets... and a lot of pups/specks around those oyster piles.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
I had a 17' Tracker Deep-V 17' for many years (my old Ketchup Boat). I loved that boat, many good memories. I would take it 20 miles out on a decent day. GREAT for rivers, inlets and the bay for the most part. My advise is MAINTENANCE MAINTENANCE MAINTENANCE. Thouroughly washed/flushed/cleaned after EVERY dunking in salt, keep all electrical lubed/coated/cleaned. If it has any carpet in it, get it out. Carpet is the best friend of saltwater corrosion in an open boat, they do not mix well.

If you were going to fish exclusively saltwater, I would spend my 9000.00 on fiberglass.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Al B & Ketchup more outstanding info ! I knew there would be some major pro's and con's and thanks for your honesty. I looked at used skiffs on boat trader and even rented on for labor day over at cherrystone and it was nice but the one thing I like about this boat was the seats with the backs. I have a bad lower back and I fished alot out of a jon boat last year and at the end of the day I couldn't even stand up straight. It seemed like the skiffs were mostly stand up fishing or fishing without a back rest .I use to stand up many a days when I use to visit pops here( old joe )from out of state in the 31' bertram until it was sold and it hurt my back too but I loved that boat! I moved here 3 years ago and can't do the jon boat thing like I did the last couple years and wanted a good back support while I fish.I just went to my doctor again last week about my back and he said still fishin in that jon boat !Lol and I am going to physical therapy for it now. Thanks again for the great info.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Ran my 1998 Tracker pro angler v16 w/ 25hp merc from Wash. DC waters
to 9 miles out lower Rapp.into bay on nicer days, wash,rince everything & flush after ea.trip & trailered there,never an issue! the water pump impeller after 2 seasons looked brand new! I miss that damb boat,bought a 20' seahunt CC (great ride too) But i seem more overprotective of fiberglass,than i was of the aluminum boat. Only thing I prefer a "v" hull on the big water,it helps a little when it blows a bit. good luck & tight lines...GUNNER

1 - 14 of 14 Posts