Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was offered an older 17' aluminum boat. It is in need of some repairs but i figured it would make a great duck boat. The boat is riveted and there are a few small holes in the side from misc screws/hardware etc... My question is what is a good way to patch holes in an aluminum boat. Also, is there a sealant i can cover the bottom with? some sort of epoxy coating or something along those lines?

Any help is great. Thanks guys

·
Registered
649 Posts
Rhino Liner...My V20 has a coating on the bottom of it. Its about an eigth inch thick and is pliable. Its glossy white and you have to look close to see it. Looks real nice. That stuff comes in several different colors.

·
Premium Member
1,295 Posts
A Long Time Ago in a Galaxy FAR-FAR Away

a friend and I converted a semi-v alum to a boat with seats ( don't ask we both worked for a furniture mFG co) we drilled out all the rivets holding the cross seats in and filled the holes with 1/4 -20 trusshead S/S screws. we put a dab of silicone under each head and then used the standard Alum boat paint over them....NOW. that was in the early 1970's and that boat still goes out fishing every week and it still hasn.t leaked at any of our screw patches...its had a few coats of paint since then...but it worked...

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
sweet, i think ill patch the holes in the side with the screws but the rhino liner sounds like an awesome idea, i wonder if it comes in a brown or a green.

·
Premium Member
4,887 Posts
You can get the Rhino liner in about any color.

With Dale's john boat, we used 4 tubes of 5200 and a putty knife... she ain't pretty, but she don't leak anymore!

·
Premium Member
1,295 Posts
like I said it made a waterproof and obviously bullet proof fix and of course we managed to get my guys in the machine shop to make some custom mounts and we had swivel, reclining, kneumatic, office arm chairs to fish from...looked odd but we liked our creature comforts

1 - 6 of 6 Posts