Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First the end part: For most of the past 20 years, I have been leaving my home in Annapolis at 5:15 am in order to keep my commute to DC to just one hour. I am beat by the end of the week. Today I retired :thumbup: after more than 30 years working with water quality, water quantity, and water pollution control
issues. I look forward to sleeping in tomorrow, especially with the lousy weather expected, and for many mornings thereafter.

Now the beginning part: Earlier this month, I formed a new environmental consulting business that I will operate out of my home. I will specialize in water issues affecting the energy industries. My new commute is 20 seconds from the kitchen to my basement office, even on a slow day. I will officially open the door on Feb 1. I hope to keep busy but not get overwhelmed with the new business. I am quite eager to have the flexibility to wake up on a week day, see calm weather, and launch for a few hours of fishing before returning home for lunch and then some work. Or being able to stay out late if the fish are biting without worrying about getting up for work the next morning. I also hope to get a chance to fish with many other TF anglers when you need another fishing partner.

Come on warm weather!

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Congratulations! Hope you live long and enjoy it well. Working part time is not so bad, especially if you can do it from home. Sleeping in on occasion is also very enjoyable, so much so that I have foregone getting up early for the past month to go out and freeze on the docks at Owen’s. Maybe we can hook up for some shad this spring.

Jerry

·
Registered
14,597 Posts
Congratulations John! I know the commute well into DC. Be careful not to trip on your robe tie going down the steps:clapping2: It could cause a back updoh........Gary

·
Registered
8,197 Posts
Congratulations on your retirement and your new business, John. I guess this means we won't be stranded on the Metro together anymore. Here's to hoping we see a lot more of each other on the water.

·
Registered
3,078 Posts
Congrats on being semi reitred, can't wait for that day myself, Hope you get to enjoy many great days on the bay as a result.

·
Premium Member
26,290 Posts
John - This might work well for both of us.

I'm trying to put together 4-5 solid fishing buddies who can fish often during the week. Learn the boat , launching , spread , electronics , etc.

HO's are fine but about the time they know the layout - day is over.

I've been very lucky with a lot of work past 3 months and should be able to take some time off in spring / early summer.

I'll B mail you my number. Congrats on semi retirement.

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
Welcome to the AARP crowd. I do almost the same thing walk 50ft to my office and run my business up in the DC area from 1300 miles away. My boat is 12 miles away in a marina and I live in a club with 3 golf courses, retirement ain't half bad.

·
Premium Member
2,642 Posts
john, congrats. i went out in 2002 and never looked back. i did mucho international travel and we stayed in multi-star hotels. friends use to say, man i wish i had that job. after so many trips i got sick of airplanes, hotels and dummies i had to work with.

now i just whisper to fish!

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I Support TidalFish.com!
7,173 Posts
Congratulations John. Huge milestone and aren't we fortunate to have this other passion, also involving water? Enjoy.

·
Registered
6,854 Posts
Good luck with the new venture John. Need to work on the commute time, 20 seconds is too fast to rush to work.

·
Premium Member
18,673 Posts
Hey John

Congratulations:clapping2::high5:

LOok forward to seeing you on the water more:yes::thumbup:
Best of luck with your new business, your commute sounds fun and your carbon footprint will be much less:))

·
Premium Member
4,735 Posts
congratulations, John!

good luck in your new venture but be careful you stay on your new Boss' good side!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts