Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Thought I would pass this along to anyone it might apply to.

Two more abduction attempts in city

Police, school officials warn about man in white van
By SCOTT DAUGHERTY, Staff Writer

A man in a white van has attempted to abduct two more young children in Annapolis, city police said this morning.

They are the fifth and sixth such reports in Anne Arundel County in the past week - at least three near schools - worrying school officials and prompting extra patrols by police.

Officer Kevin Freeman, a city police spokesman, said this morning officers would be stationed at all of the city's schools when classes let out today.

"We are going to step it up around the schools and see if we can catch this guy," he said.

Principals at every middle and elementary school in the Annapolis feeder system are supposed to send letters home with students today warning parents of the incidents.

"Obviously, we're concerned any time there's a safety issue involving students, but when it happens multiple times in a short time period, you've got a trend," said Melvin Edwards, a county school system spokesman.

But Deidre Parker, whose 7-year-old daughter and niece were almost abducted this morning about 9 a.m. near Mills-Parole Elementary School at 103 Chinquapin Round Road, said the school district should have sent out something sooner.

"Today is too late," she said, noting that police knew of a similar incident Friday near Tyler Heights Elementary School. "I wouldn't have let her walk to school if I had known."

Officer Kevin Freeman, a city police spokesman, said detectives are still investigating what happened this morning on Drew Street. He said initial information points to a white man in a white van with the word "maintenance" on the side approaching the two girls.

When the driver started to get out of the van, the girls ran to school.

"If this man had taken my daughter, I wouldn't have known until three o'clock when my child hadn't shown up for aftercare," said Ms. Parker.

It was the second such report in 24 hours. Yesterday, an 8-year-old boy told police he was accosted by a man he did not know about 3 p.m. on Victor Parkway as he was walking home from Georgetown East Elementary School. He said the man drove up in a white work van with ladder racks on it and asked if he wanted a ride home.

The boy said no, but police said the man got out and grabbed him by the arm and told him to get in the van.

Police said the boy kicked the man in the leg, broke free, and ran back to the school. He then ran home with his 6-year-old sister and told his parents what happened.

Police described the would-be abductor as white with crew-cut dirty blonde hair. He was wearing a black jumpsuit.

There may have been another man in the van, but the boy could not say for sure.

Cpl. Sara Schriver, a county police spokesman, said they have not received any such reports since Wednesday - when a white man tried to talk to some children in their yard in Arnold.

Still, she said, people are keeping an eye out and calling 911 when they see anything suspicious.

Cpl. Schriver noted two specific reports yesterday afternoon that don't appear to be serious: one involving a white work truck parked in the Whispering Woods community on the Broadneck Peninsula and another involving a black man in a white delivery van trying to talk to an 18-year-old woman in Pasadena yesterday afternoon. Police said the first van was there because the owner was working in the area and the second man was probably just trying to get a date.

Still, Cpl. Schriver asked people to keep calling police if they see anyone suspicious.

"At least they are staying alert," she said.

City police were first to raise the alarm last week about a potential child abductor in the area.

Officer Hal Dalton, a city police spokesman, said a 10-year-old girl ran home about 1:10 p.m. Wednesday after a man in a work van asked her to help him find his lost puppy on North Southwood Avenue. When she refused and ran away, the man drove off in a hurry.

The girl described the man as white, in his late 20s or early 30s, with a thin build, a mustache and black hair. He was driving a "white work-type van with lettering on it," and the lettering included the word "appliances."

Officer Freeman said there was a similar report Friday afternoon on Janwal Street near Tyler Heights Elementary, but the department did not put out a press release on it.

County police took reports in St. Margarets Sunday and Arnold Wednesday. That man, however, approached children in their yards and tried to talk to them while their parents weren't around.

County police described their suspicious person as white, 45 to 50 years old, with a fair complexion. A witness said he was driving a gray station wagon or van.

Anyone with information about these cases should call Annapolis police at 410-268-9000 or county police at 410-222-8610.

·
Registered
7,600 Posts
Like the song says - I ain't as good as I once was......(but if I ever caught anybody like this creep) I believe I can still be as good once as I ever was....

Some really sick sick-o's around, and it appears even Annapolis...at least the part I know....isn't immune to these characters.

Hope they catch 'em.

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
10-4 big will, if i caught someone trying to take my kids, wife or dog....I would kill em'...no ifs ands or buts. DOA. if they ever get caught nothing really happens, like cutting off body parts etc.

·
Premium Member
26,179 Posts
THANK YOU for the warning.This sicko will most likely try for kids in another area now that the police are wise to him.I will never understand why people would hurt young children-something really screwed up in their minds.:( Skip

·
Registered
8,598 Posts
My daughter came home with note from school last week regarding this creep. We have already been discussing "what to do when a stranger approaches" with my children. Unfortunately kids cant go out and just play like I did as a kid. It is ashame.

·
Registered
4,024 Posts
3 R's that's good.

One thing these people need to consider is whether or not they are willing to do for somebody else's kids.

Like other have said, it ain't gonna be pretty if somone ever gets their hand on one of these sick son-of *****es and catches them in the act.

I'll die for my kids, doubt some some prick trying to abduct them is as willing.

I drop mine off at school every morning, and watch them walk in. Luckily Ihave a job close by that allows me that luxury.

Chris

·
Registered
173 Posts
Annapolis

I grew up in Annapolis in the Eastport area never used to be like that. All the parent allways looked out for everyones child as my mother did for them ,shame it has to be the way it is anymore. Annapolis was a great place to grow up ,right on the Chesapeake fished a many day thier with my grand father and father .

1 - 8 of 8 Posts