Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking about setting up a trip to Belize this winter. Anyone been there who can recommend a decent resort or guide? Want to get at least a few days fishing in.

Thanks,
Andy

·
Registered
252 Posts
BELIZE

I WENT TO BELIZE ON A CRUISE 3 YEARS AGO. THERE IS NO DOCK FOR THE SHIP SO WE HAD TO MOTOR BOAT OVER TO THE PORT. THERE WERE MILITARY THERE WITH MACHINE GUNS ALL OVER THE PLACE.:eek2: MY WIFE AND I FELT QUITE UNCOMFORTABLE. BACK THEN THE GOVERNMENT WAS NOT VERY STABLE AND I HAVE NO IDEA IF THINGS HAVE CHANGED.

WE WENT SNORKLING THERE NOT FISHING, THE WATER IS WONDERFUL. :yes:I DID NOT STAY ON LAND, BUT IF I WAS GOING I WOULD REALLY GOOGLE AND READ AS MUCH AS I COULD. MAKE ALOT OF PRE CALLS AND ASK ALOT OF QUESTIONS. SAFETY FIRST.:thumbup:

MAY I SUGGEST COSTA RICA? THE GOVERNMENT THERE IS MUCH MORE STABLE.

WHATEVER YOU DECIDE HAVE A GREAT TIME AND BE SAFE.:cool2:

·
Registered
7,988 Posts
I WENT TO BELIZE ON A CRUISE 3 YEARS AGO. THERE IS NO DOCK FOR THE SHIP SO WE HAD TO MOTOR BOAT OVER TO THE PORT. THERE WERE MILITARY THERE WITH MACHINE GUNS ALL OVER THE PLACE.:eek2
Have a news flash for you, if you head south of the border anywhere you'll see machine guns. It's just the way it is down there. Nothing to be afraid of unless your part of the drug cartel. So head south and enjoy.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just know I need to go somewhere warm this winter where I can spend a couple of days on the water. Been a long, busy year and haven't had more then a long weekend since last October. Keys might work. Never been there either.

·
Registered
4,127 Posts
We stayed at Turneffe Flats back in '91 or so. Spectacular trip. We did a bonefish/dive trip. Six days of Bones on the flats from 9-5, then back to the dock and off to the reef for a dive before dinner. Did a night dive too, which definitely ranks among my top life experiences. So much bioluminescence that we switched off our flashlights and drifted through 'space'. Reefs there were pristine, and the visibility was remarkable. We got lucky and got there at a time when the resort had sat empty for two weeks and the local flats had been undisturbed. I'll never forget the golden glimmer of hundreds of tails breaking the surface in the morning sun. Day 5, I hooked into a monster bonefish that spooled me and then straightened the hook before departing for parts unknown. My guide, 'Eddy', who hadn't said a word all week, said "Not often you get a bone like dat." His admonishment has stung me all these years leaving me with a yearning to return.

·
Registered
7,988 Posts
I just know I need to go somewhere warm this winter where I can spend a couple of days on the water. Been a long, busy year and haven't had more then a long weekend since last October. Keys might work. Never been there either.
If you decide to head for the Keys, check out Island Charters Fishing in Key West with Captain Bill Welder. Great guy and a very good guide. The picture on his home page is Rattletrap with a monster permit that he caught on our trip a few years ago.
Correction, seems the permit has moved, but you'll have a great trip anyway. The Keys are great and no machine guns.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the suggestions all. Keep them coming. Machine guns don't bother me unless they are shooting at me. Traveled enough, not that strange to see outside the US

·
Registered
615 Posts
It depends on which part of Belize you visit. If you stay on Ambergris Caye, which is the tropical resort area it's great, if you are looking for a laid back vacation. If you looking for a ton of tourist type activities it will seem slow. My typical day was to get up, grab breakfast, do a morning dive, then after a short rest we went back out for a second dive. We would return for lunch, and spend the afternoon sightseeing the island or fishing inside the reef. We did not see armed military on the island. We felt very safe and everyone was very pleasant. We would walk to dinner after dark and never felt at risk. A bonus is the national language is english and the dollar is the common currency. The popular method of motorized transportation is oversized golf carts!
Now if you go explore the mainland, that is a different story. The capital city, like an capital city, is filled with crime. Mostly hoodlums robbing tourists.
My advice would be to fly into Belize then go straight to Ambergris Cay. If you want, do your excursions to the rainforest from there. It's only a 30-45 minute flight. We stayed at Sunbreeze which is across the street from the airport. It was a clean hotel, centrally located on the island with a decent restaurant, pool and beach. The dive operations pick up from the dock.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Was there in the early 80s but not officially...lets just say the government in charge back then isn't the same one in charge now....and I helped....

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I Support TidalFish.com!
7,173 Posts
One tip for everyone that travels. Most island resorts depend on tourism so if you stay in the safe zones, you will generally be fine. That said, there are thieves and addicts that prey on tourists in these places. They run surveillance on beaches for purses, wallets and valuables to include popping locks on cars. When I snorkel, I put my wallet, passport, keys and jewelry together in a double plastic bag and bury it in the sand under my towel. Thieves won't draw attention by going to the effort of trying to dig it up even in the unlikely event you are seen burying it. They will snatch your bag or knapsack which is the usual place for goodies. Jim

·
Registered
3 Posts
Rojo

I went to Belize Vacations, Tours, Resorts, News, Hotels, Travels, Flights, Weather, Maps, Real Estate a few years ago. Similar experience to Mark in previous post, excellent place to visit. I would fly into Belize City and immediately catch the puddle jumper or water taxi to the island. We caught some reef fishing and open water fishing with a local named Rojo on a little skiff. We stayed at Ramon's Village, Belize Resort, Belize Resorts, Resorts in Belize, Ambergris Caye and thought it was a excellent resort. I recommend spending the money on golf cart so you can enjoy the entire island and the other island attached by the bridge. And ask the local children to take you fishing for the alligators in the lagoons, definitely a good experience.

·
Registered
615 Posts
I forgot about the alligator/crocodile... If you see a beautiful lagoon on the inland side don't go walk around the edges looking to throw a line. There are a couple of huge croc's living in there. The locals gather in the afternoon to lure them out of the water onto the beach to feed them a whole chicken. They would slap the chicken on the ground and the crocs would slowly come out of the water.

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I Support TidalFish.com!
7,173 Posts
I've never been to Belize. Been to Aruba, Curacao, others. Never had a problem. My safety comments were general. I learned after having a bag stolen off the beach in Hawaii. Fortunately, only clothes.

·
Registered
401 Posts

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
I visit Ambergris Caye very often. I stay in Captain Morgan’s Retreat. You don’t have to make reservations for fishing before you arrive in Belize. Any resorts, you will find guides for your needs. Immediately after arrival, go to the concierge and find what they offer. You can also find guides or charter boats by asking any residents or through local news paper.

One thing, the water quality is bad so you will drink bottled water. Go to the concierge office and ask for a water dispenser. They probably have the dispenser at free of charge. And buy a 5 gallon water. Not only you save money, you have a plenty of water for brushing teeth.

Now a days I do only go out on a small boat (17’-20’ Panga) with a guide for fly fishing and bait fishing for snappers, Bonefish and Tarpons. But you can go out on a bigger boat for big fish. If you are the only one from your group want to go fishing, ask concierge if there are other guys you can join.

I bring a lot of cash to pay local guide because the local guide can not process the credit cards. You can negotiate the price if you can contact the local guide directly, not through the resorts.

If you go to Ambergris Caye, here is the guy in Ambergris Caye. Tell him what you need and see if he can find a guide for you.

Luis Caliz
San Pedro Town, Ambergris Caye, Belize
Central America
011-501-226-2785

Good Luck
Joe

·
Registered
590 Posts
Keys are great....so is Abaco

Hit Key West during Fantasy Fest, you'll never forget it. You won't need to pack too many clothes either....just a little body paint should do it for the week.

Actually, you can rent a house on the water in the mid to lower Keys. They have power boat rental companies that will drop off boats if your house has a pier. A neighbor of mine does it every year (goes in the off season though) and raves about it. Also, check out Abaco. You can stay in secluded hotels on the water in the islands around the bay and can also do a power boat rental.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts