Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In case you haven't shopped ammo lately, the price is high and supply is low. I picked the wrong time to get my first pistol. Guns are in short supply also. I'm looking for 9mm luger ammo, either range or defense ammo. Any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
26,095 Posts
Anglers has been well stocked but puts limits on amount you can buy.

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
It's all new to me also, and I'm learning, but range ammo is cheaper than defense ammo, but here is the main difference between the 2.
http://weekendoffroaders.com/range-ammunition-vs-defense-ammunition/
Thanks for the reply. It was an interesting read. However I would think that in a home range ammo would be ok as you would be close to your attacker and the shot would probably hit the person in the chest or head and still immobilize the assailant. At least back him off a bit.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Thanks for the reply. It was an interesting read. However I would think that in a home range ammo would be ok as you would be close to your attacker and the shot would probably hit the person in the chest or head and still immobilize the assailant. At least back him off a bit.
Something is better than nothing. The article hits the high points of the importance of energy transfer and overpenetration.

·
Registered
705 Posts
I can't help but wonder if the unrest in DC last week and the upcoming inauguration has anything to do with it. Two sites I checked both had 98% of the items marked as "Not Available" and the rest as "Out of Stock".

Chuck

·
Registered
13,901 Posts
In stock and reasonable price sjould never be used in the same sentence. Nosler factory owes me 3 boxes of 308 and they are out right now. Been waiting 2 months....... Gary

·
Registered
231 Posts
I work in a gun shop, we can not find much ammo to buy, some calibers are nearly impossible to find. If found, the seller is seriously price gouging, each time we buy ammo, the price goes up. The 3 main makers are running 24 hours a day, but can not keep all lines running due to staffing issues. Remington went bankrupt, was broken up and sold, so no Remington ammo, until the buyer gets up and running. The ammo makers are over one year behind in their orders, and can not keep up with current demand. Expect shortages to get worse! It will be a year, or possibly two, before ammo is more readily available. Reloading supplies are just as difficult to find, and the weasel price gougers are at work here too. I saw an on line seller asking $300.00 for a box of 1000 primers, which usually cost around $35.00. Do not waste your ammo on paper, save it for crooks.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I can't help but wonder if the unrest in DC last week and the upcoming inauguration has anything to do with it. Two sites I checked both had 98% of the items marked as "Not Available" and the rest as "Out of Stock".

Chuck
Nope, it's been like this for most of last year. I'm told it happens every election year but this is extreme due to the defunding of police, riots and police standing down. Some people are realizing they are on their own as far as defending their families, thus the many first time gun owners now in the market for ammo. Add this to the rumors that the Biden Administration are talking about making it harder and more expensive to buy ammo. It has become the perfect storm. Supply and demand.

·
Registered
361 Posts
supply has been low since covid started and fear of civil unrest and a threatened 2nd amendment has demand thru the roof.(funny how that works). Many places have limits on purchase amounts. Even some reloading components can be hard to get.

·
Registered
13,901 Posts
supply has been low since covid started and fear of civil unrest and a threatened 2nd amendment has demand thru the roof.(funny how that works). Many places have limits on purchase amounts. Even some reloading components can be hard to get.
Primers are impossible to find. I have the brass, powder and bullets...... Gary

·
Registered
600 Posts
Primers are impossible to find. I have the brass, powder and bullets...... Gary
Basspro seems to have some stock if site is correct. I cannot figure prices since I shoot at a club where I have to buy their ammo. Lugar 9mm 50 rounds for $15 seemed fair if available.
t

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Basspro seems to have some stock if site is correct. I cannot figure prices since I shoot at a club where I have to buy their ammo. Lugar 9mm 50 rounds for $15 seemed fair if available.
t
I'm willing to bet they haven't updated their website recently but I will have to give them a call.

·
Registered
137 Posts
t
9mm is at least double that price. Ammoseek.com is a decent place to gauge what is available and at what price.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I don't think it fair to blame Covid1984 for the "civil unrest". Oxymoronic isn't it - lol. IMO, it is due to all the riots and the defund police ****. Discussed ad nauseum over on MDShooters. Tight lines and full magazines.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I work in a gun shop, we can not find much ammo to buy, some calibers are nearly impossible to find. If found, the seller is seriously price gouging, each time we buy ammo, the price goes up. The 3 main makers are running 24 hours a day, but can not keep all lines running due to staffing issues. Remington went bankrupt, was broken up and sold, so no Remington ammo, until the buyer gets up and running. The ammo makers are over one year behind in their orders, and can not keep up with current demand. Expect shortages to get worse! It will be a year, or possibly two, before ammo is more readily available. Reloading supplies are just as difficult to find, and the weasel price gougers are at work here too. I saw an on line seller asking $300.00 for a box of 1000 primers, which usually cost around $35.00. Do not waste your ammo on paper, save it for crooks.
What shop do you work in?

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Just called BPS . They are out of everything except a few shotgun shells. They are expecting a delivery of ammo tomorrow morning but she couldn't tell me what kind. She said people line up outside the store waiting to get in and buy it. She said the same people show up every time they get a new shipment. Not sure if they limit purchases but they should. My guess is these people are probably making a killing reselling ammo at a premium price since it's so hard to find, similar to toilet paper this past summer.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts