Tidal Fish Forum banner

61 - 68 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Heard a rumor today its a container ship full of primers waiting to dock from Europe. Cant confirm but thats the talk! I sold some extra primers at Gettysburg gun show the other week to a dealer and he was marking them up 10 a hundred.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I live near Bass Pro, so stop in frequently. Almost all the days I'd go, there would be nothing available. One random morning last month I arrive to find a big line. Curious as to why it's so long this time, I grab a ticket and pull #67. Sure enough, they have about 100 bricks of 500rd Winchester range load 9mm for $150. Sometimes you get lucky, but it seems a number of these folks must have had inside information about that shipment coming in.

I think the worst thing about this shortage is that you're constantly on the hunt for rounds just to be able to practice.

·
Registered
231 Posts
The Government has nothing to do with it! They order millions of rounds of ammo, but accept it in lots of ,10,000 or so, over a period of time, not all at once. The government regularly takes bids for ammo contracts, which usually have little effect on supply and demand. Demand is currently huge, up 100 % by some estimates, the manufacturers are over one year behind on their paid orders, due to Wuhan virus shut downs, and demand.
The Remington video you saw, may be old. Remington went bankrupt last year, and was broken up and sold in pieces. The company which owns CCI/Speer/Federal bought Remington ammunition. They say they are working to start up production.

·
Registered
134 Posts
The Government has nothing to do with it! They order millions of rounds of ammo, but accept it in lots of ,10,000 or so, over a period of time, not all at once. The government regularly takes bids for ammo contracts, which usually have little effect on supply and demand.
I don't know how "The Government" does it, but DOD has plenty of 5.56 and 9mm. (in addition to the good stuff) More than 74,000,000 rounds, just saying....

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
I live near Bass Pro, so stop in frequently. Almost all the days I'd go, there would be nothing available. One random morning last month I arrive to find a big line. Curious as to why it's so long this time, I grab a ticket and pull #67. Sure enough, they have about 100 bricks of 500rd Winchester range load 9mm for $150. Sometimes you get lucky, but it seems a number of these folks must have had inside information about that shipment coming in.

I think the worst thing about this shortage is that you're constantly on the hunt for rounds just to be able to practice.
FYI, I got to Bass Pro Shops yesterday at 7:00AM. Opens at 9.00. The sign said limited 9mm and they'd be handing out numbers around 8:30. Debated whether to stay or not. I'm glad I did. I was about the 7th in line. I was able to purchase 8 boxes of 100 round 9mm at $35 a box. :thumbup: The normal limit is 5 boxes or a brick of 500, but if you have a Bass Pro Shop charge card you can get 3 extra boxes. It's really hit and miss daily there if they will have ammo but you have to show up early but they won't tell you beforehand if they will get a shipment in the next day. You just have to take your chances.

·
Registered
137 Posts
35cpr is a really, really good price in today's climate. I'd love to know what BassPro's cost is. Said differently, I'd like to know what level of markup some other retailers are adding so that I can avoid them when (if) things normalize.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
35cpr is a really, really good price in today's climate. I'd love to know what BassPro's cost is. Said differently, I'd like to know what level of markup some other retailers are adding so that I can avoid them when (if) things normalize.
A week ago I got 50 round boxes of Federal for $15/box, so you would figure 100 round box should be $30/box. These were Winchester. I wonder if they had a price increase? Still a great price these days so no complaints from me.

61 - 68 of 68 Posts