Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looks like we have finally found a buyer for our house here in Michigan, and the wife and I hope to be moving to either the Norfolk or Richmond area by June. I was hoping that someone can recommend a bank in these areas. We would prefer a bank that has branches throughout the entire state of Virginia and not just in the local area. Free online banking is a must. Any recommendations will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
9,785 Posts
OK - Assuming you are an angler since you are on a fishing site. And you are moving to an area where the fishing is very good so you will probably fish a lot like most of us.. Then I suspect you will be like the rest of us....broke with very little money in our bank accounts since most all goes to boat payments, boat maintenance, gas, tackle, and bait. And with little money in the bank month to month, I would submit they are all the same. Actually, I'm just kidding (OK half kidding). I can't help as I've had the same bank (USAA) for 27 years and there are zero local banks. But not having a local bank has never been a problem for me and now with free online billpay service, I don't even have to write checks. They even have this service where I can scan in a check on my scanner, upload it to my bank account and have it instantly deposited. Pretty cool. Good luck in your transition down here, don't hesitate to ask for help.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK - Assuming you are an angler since you are on a fishing site. And you are moving to an area where the fishing is very good so you will probably fish a lot like most of us.. Then I suspect you will be like the rest of us....broke with very little money in our bank accounts since most all goes to boat payments, boat maintenance, gas, tackle, and bait.
Aint that the truth. :chugbeer:

·
Registered
672 Posts
I have accounts at Wachovia, Sun Trust, and Towne Bank. Wachovia is the biggest, but IMO the worst for customer service. Sun Trust used to be pretty good, but their cust. service seems to have gone down the toilet lately, so much so that we moved all of our business accounts to Towne Bank about 3 months ago. Towne Bank is the smallest and, again IMO, by far the best as far as customer service goes. They do have free online banking and bill pay, as a matter of fact, they all do. If you aren't going to be using the branch much, then any of them will do. If you will need more than online stuff, I've been impressed with Towne.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I have BB&T (not by choice, they bought out First VA Bank) and am not a fan. They whack you for foreign ATM charges, whack you for acct maintenance fees if you do not have direct deposit on all accts, and they have limited hours (not open on weekends now). I have heard many positive things about USAA.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the replies guys. It gives me something to research. Cann't wait to get down thier and start with the saltwater fishing. Looks like I'll be trying for flounder right off the bat. How's the striper fishing in mid summer?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Moving

Tech Rally,

If you need a Realtor in the Richmond area, I would be glad to help. Been in the business 18 years. Full time agent, part time charterboat captain. Fishing all my life. e-mail me at [email protected] if I can help. Look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks,

C.B.
Captain of the charterboat Blackjack

·
Premium Member
1,102 Posts
My wife works for wachovia . If you'd like to talk to her b-mail me and i'll give you her cell number. There's lots of great banks in this area as already been notated. If your needing home financing give me a call. I represent over 70 banks and can do almost anytype of loan available.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Depends on service needed

Both wife and I are self employed and have dealings with several banks and credit unions. If you need statewide coverage [ actually need to walk in] I would say Wachovia . Although thier customer service dropped when they were bought out by a NC conglomerate a few years ago . They kept the Wachovia name because surveys showed the wach name had a better reputation. Personally we deal with credit unions but our prime business is handled with Towne bank were the service is better. Secondary business is Wachovia.
If you need a return on your money you need to shop them all.
Good luck and welcome aboard.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Tech Rally,

If you qualify (former Navy, work on a Navy base), Navy Federal Credit Union has MANY locations throughout the Southside Tidewater area (Norfolk, Virginia Beach). They have free online banking with online bill pay, and offer free interest bearing checking. Go to www.navyfcu.org to check them out.

Welcome to the area,

Joe
His Doghouse Too

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
I work for Bank of America as a business banker, but the retail bank is top notch!! On another note I currently live in the Richmond area (Chesterfield to be exact) & have accepted a job in VA Beach. I have to sell my house here before I can move to the beach. Not sure what you're looking for but I have a 2 year old home- 1850 sq ft - 4br, 2.5bath & 1.5 car garage.

I'm putting it on the market for sale by owner, but happy to pay an agent 3.5% if they bring a buyer...:thumbup:

·
Registered
7,478 Posts
BOA

I would highly recommend Bank of America, especially if you can become an advantage customer. They are also located in any major city in the US.

We tried Wachovia and it was a disaster - Heck they are still sending us offers on an equity line account we closed at Wachovia 5 years ago.

Kevin
Weekend Mistress

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.