Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,

Been away for work and haven't been out on the boat for three weeks. When I got there, both batteries (just 1 year old) were dead. The terminals were clean and I made sure they were tight. I always switch the battery selector to off when I leave, but I must have forgot and I noticed I had left it to "both". Nothing else was on that I could see.

My question..is it possible that the cause of my dead batteries is because the selector was left on "both" and it sat for three weeks? I can't think of any other reason why they may be dead.

Thanks for your thoughts on this one, more curious than anything.

·
Premium Member
26,271 Posts
When you charge the batteries - see if anything comes on - like a light/radio/pump/etc. that might have ran and drained the batteries.

The ON/OFF switch does not draw any juice- it just shuts everything off.

Sometimes a bilge pump auto switch will stick on and drain a battery.Even an Am/FM radio will take out 2 batteries if left on for a week or more.

Charge the batteries and then turn the switch to OFF and see if they hold a charge next trip.That will tell you something most likely was left on.I leave the VHF on now/then and see hear it when cleaning the boat.Easy to forget.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Was dealing with a similar situation about a week or so ago.

The switch is not the drain, something else on the boat is. If you make sure to turn that switch OFF after boating, the batteries will not be drained.

However, if you have bilge pumps wired directly to the battery, they will run when the switch is OFF.

-Mike

·
Registered
8,845 Posts
My batteries will drain with the Perko switch left on. It has never been enough to drain them completely but enough to require charging for several hours to bring them back. A sticking float switch on bilge pumps will do it pretty fast as mentioned, but you can hear that. If the bilge pump is wired correctly it has one circuit directly to the battery with an in line fuse that does not go through the switch or fuse panel.

I believe a GPS antenna takes some current even when the unit is off. I always figure there is some drain on my batteries when the switch is left on.

·
Registered
414 Posts
The one thing I keep forgetting about and gets me all the time is the carbon monoxide detecter in the cabin. It is hard wired to the batters and drain them every winter. One day I will remember to disconnect it if I am not using it for a while.

Wild Bill, never thought about the GPS module. I need to check my wiring and see if it connected to the ACC switch or not.

Ken

·
Registered
766 Posts
I had the same problem. Even drained the batteries as the motor ran and had to be towed in. Took boat back to dealer and it was the way the switch was attached to the boat. In my case (and I am NOT an electrician), it was affixed to metal where there was some kind of short and they remounted it with a ceramic circle same size as battery switch, what 4-5 inches diameter and this took care of the problem. So - check what it is mounted to and make sure, no matter what is on or off, it is drawing current from the batteries and will kill them no matter what you do. Hope this helps. Capt. Joe Cannon aka Striperjoe32 on the FW board. :cool:

·
Premium Member
26,271 Posts
One other thing to check.When the switch is on BOTH - a weak battery can drain the stronger battery.Your's are new but sometimes you can get a bad battery.

Some boats use one battery for starting-the other for electronics.When the motor is off-they turn the battery switch so the starting battery is off.This ensures a strong battery to start the motor.Just be sure to switch before starting the motor. It is not good to switch when the motor is running.

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
Not mentioned yet....but the memory feature in most stereo systems and some GPS units will drain a battery after a few weeks.....it has to be hooked up "hot" or you'd loose all your presets every time you shut down power with the batt switch.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks fellas, I really appreciate the insight.

I charged the batteries last night, re-installed them, and the motor started right up. Without touching any switches, I checked all lights and they were off.

I'll check it out next weekend like Skip suggests...that will be the tell all!

Thanks again.

-by the way, I did a loop from the bridge around TPL and back around 9am. Very quiet with just a few birds around.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts