Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do any of you know of a free, online bird ID website, perhaps where you can type in details (color, size, etc.) and get back a range of color pics/drawings as possible matches?

I'm mildly interested in bird watching but my daughter has become very interested since I fixed the "squirrel proof" feeder on our deck (that the squirrels earlier had damaged). Particularly with the ice and snow, I've noticed as we look through the ID book together that we have a lot a species coming out of the woods (not including the hawks and bald eagle that stay closer to the marsh). The ID book is pretty technical, however, and the drawings are not always color or easy to see. I'm looking for something better to keep up her interest in this.

Thanks.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Goose, what field guide do you have? I use Peterson Field Guides at work. They are color drawings of the birds (or mammals or whatever the guide is for). The drawings are intended to be a representation of the common characteristics and you need to know what type of bird you are looking for. I think Audobon has a field guide with color photos of the birds and groups them in a way that's a little more user friendly for the birder who can't yet tell whether they're looking at a finch or a sparrow. -Jim

·
Registered
216 Posts
Goose
I've been doing a lot of bird photography work lately and use this site, which will give you just about everything needed. But the best tool is the National Audubon Society's CD-ROM on North American Birds, which can be fun in most county libraries.
http://www.birds.cornell.edu/AllAboutBirds/BirdGuide/
Wayne

·
Registered
614 Posts
Do any of you know of a free, online bird ID website, perhaps where you can type in details (color, size, etc.) and get back a range of color pics/drawings as possible matches?

I'm mildly interested in bird watching but my daughter has become very interested since I fixed the "squirrel proof" feeder on our deck (that the squirrels earlier had damaged). Particularly with the ice and snow, I've noticed as we look through the ID book together that we have a lot a species coming out of the woods (not including the hawks and bald eagle that stay closer to the marsh). The ID book is pretty technical, however, and the drawings are not always color or easy to see. I'm looking for something better to keep up her interest in this.

Thanks.
Try audubon.org

TED

·
Registered
9,443 Posts

Thanks.
http://www.mbr-pwrc.usgs.gov/id/framlst/infocenter.html

http://imnh.isu.edu/digitalatlas/bio/birds/main/ident/bvk1.htm

http://www.birds.cornell.edu/AllAboutBirds/BirdGuide/

http://www.birdnature.com/bclassmain.html

Dennis:))

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Store in Annapolis

---If my memory serves me there is a first class store in the Harbour Center that is full of field Guides, & every thing related to bird life --My field guide on seabirds is tatterd & dog eared , but of great value to my Charter anglers --My lifetime love for our feathered friends , makes Birdwatching as rewarding as a bent rod tip--A small flock of Storm Petrels flying past is always a treat --Several sets of " Crew" glasses on the boat is always a welcome tool ----The use of the Captains glasses should be reserved as accidents do happen---What a great hobby for any you person to Discover --Thumbs Up--geo.

·
Registered
7,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I do have a guide from Peterson that I received in 1979 as a birthday present and have handed it down to my daughter. It's so tattered, stained/faded, however, that many of the pages are of little use. I do plan to get a better one for her for her birthday this summer, but figured a website could hold her over until then (as can going to the library, as Skip suggests...not sure why I didn't think of that). Thanks very much for all of your help.

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
I like to shoot 'em first. Makes for easy identification.:D Might I suggest a 20 gauge for the daughter. Remember if the "man" shows up throw the anchor. If it's too late you were salvaging cripples:D .

-Evans

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.