Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if there are books out there about the tidal rivers or the bay written by a fisherman from the bay area so the info is actually correct. It could be about the fishing in the bay and rivers or just the bay in general. Im guessing there is a lot of books so i dont need a long list; I wouldnt want to waste somebody's time when they could be fishing:D

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Was in Border's bookstore today Christmas shopping and I actually found myself skimming through the book. thats why I decided to have a post to see what else is out there. Looks pretty interestiong.

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
great book about the bay, it's people and it's bounty. beautiful swimmers. Great read.

·
Premium Member
26,103 Posts
Marty's baitshop in Edgewater and All tackle in Annapolis both carry Lenny Rudow's books :thumbup:.

·
Premium Member
2,411 Posts

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
I enjoyed "Voices of the Chesapeake" put out by "all geared up" publications.....Lenny Rudow's. The book is a composition of short stories told by watermen, authors, conservationist, ect. Very interesting getting All points of view.:thumbup:

·
Registered
8,197 Posts
I second Voices of the Chesapeake. Bill gave me a copy and I've been through it twice now. I read Rudlow's books before I moved to Maryland and found then interesting. Gerald turned me on to a great book last year which I've loaned and can't remember the name. It is a 1970s era atlas which showed fish spawning and wintering grounds, oyster reefs, etc. I also recommend whatever cultural history books you can find. Michener's Chesapeake, while fiction, is still a must read. Also, if you find time, visit the Chesapeake Bay Maritime Museum in St. Michaels. One of my favorite destinations in the region.

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I Support TidalFish.com!
7,173 Posts
Here are a couple of sources for books about the Bay if you want to look through them before buying...

Chesapeake Maritime Museum, St. Michaels (best - far side of town)

Chesapeake Trading Company, St. Michaels (good - in town)

- Jim

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
Also - "Dancing With the Tides" by Blackistone. This is a pretty good read. "Beautiful Swimmers" was one of the best books I have ever read about the bay. You should start with this one.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Do a search on Larry S. Chowning. He has several books out on the bay. Some of them may be in your local library. While they do not actually address angling per se, the are fascinating and offer a glimpse into the early history of the bay, commercial fishing and of a way of life that has all but disappeared.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
OK, I'm not sure what is going on here. I posted a reply and it says that I posted a reply, but I sure don't see my reply so I will try again.

What I had originally replyed was to do a search on Larry S. Chowning. He has several books out on the bay. They are not about angling per se, but they provide a facinating look at the bay as it once was and a life style that has all but disappeared.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts