Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to clean three types of stains on the vinyl v-berth cabin cushions. The fist is mildew. That seems simple enough and Simple Green did remove some of it, but the darker areas remain. The second is a couple of color bleeds from plastic shad bodies. The third may not be a stain at all -- it's slightly off-colored areas in the white vinyl where the shads sat on the vinyl -- I fear that this a chemical reaction that "melted" the vinyl.

I purchased a Meguiar's "heavy duty" vinyl clean from BoatersWorld and it did nothing. Can anyone recommend any other cleaning method, or am I stuck with these blemishes?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
goose...I've tried everything (or at least a dozen different things) they make to get the mildew spots offa vinyl. I have found nothing that will get it off.

Jim

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Crow...Ok, I didn't try that one. What is this magic eraser that you speak of? Is it the one off'n the back of your standard issue writin' stick?

·
Registered
6,818 Posts
Jeff, I use a combination of Simple Green, liquid bleach, and water for soiled areas. The bleach is especially good for removing mildew stains. If the cushions are heavilly mildewed, use a little bleach full strength on a sponge... wipe it on and let it sit for a few minutes, and the mildew will dissappear before your eyes. Rinse with clean water and you're done.

The cushions might not brighten up right away, but give them 24 hours... ;-)

If you need a little abrasive to help, use Chlorox Clean-Up. Scrub the area and let it sit for 10 minutes before wiping it clean.

If the stains were caused by colored shad bodies, you have a 50/50 chance...

To make the cabin or v-berth fresh again, wipe the surfaces down with a mixture of Pine-Sol and water. :cool:
Your boat will be pine forest fresh!

·
Premium Member
2,412 Posts
how about

sneaker marks on the deck, magic erasure work there too?

how many time do I have to say, no marking shoes on the boat! sheesh!

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
I made the mistake of laying my rod holder rubber inserts on top of my vinal seats, which ended up bleeding into the vinal. Will anything get that stain out? That looks permanant to me.

·
Registered
7,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks! My wife says that she has pletny of magic erasers (standard equipment with young kids in the house, apparently). I'll give it a try.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Try Dow scrubbing bubbles .The same thing your old lady uses on the tube and shower. It will kill mold and mildew. I use it before i put my boat up for the winter. My friend was a crown line dealer and he told me that crown line uses it prior to them shipping from factory to dealer so they don't have any problems. I have been using it since 1993. Will also remove mold and mildew stains.:thumbup:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts