Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently saw article about cod fishing,has sparked my intrest ! Has anyone done this kind of fishing ( charter ) in recent years . Any suggestions about where to go ( with in 5 to 6 hr drive) from baltimore area ? any captian suggestions ?

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Certainly haven't done it recently, the last time was about 25 years ago outa Bar Harbor, Maine. Just put on a piece of squid, about 10 oz of weight, drop the rig to the bottom(couple hundred feet), reel up 3 turns, and wait. Fish were all 5-10 lbs. Good luck and have fun!
Pat in Joppa

·
Registered
6,349 Posts
OT? There is nothing OT about cod fishing in the Winter. Montauk gets a good run starting in late Jan early Feb, Pt Judith is good, better is Hyannis, depends on how far north you want to go. I usually get 2 or 3 trips in, but the tog really have my interest right now. Most boats will jig, but skimmer clams are the bait of choice. As far as headboats (don't call them that up there)There is the Viking in Montauk, and the Helen H, which deserted sheepshead bay for Hyannis many moons ago. There are of course many other boats running cod trips in the winter. This fishing has seen a strong rebound, after a colapse in the 90s, in the old days, the fishing was for big fish, and 30-40 lb fish were common place , with several real pigs over 60 caught every year. Today there is mostly small fish, but there are still some brutes around.
I am down, if we can get a crew to go up, cod makes the best fish&chips. Just dress warm, and leave the spinning tackle home.
Next we'll cover tackle and techniques.
I have no connection to this Capt, other than I think he is the man for cod (along with other fish) He is out of Montauk. Just don't bring Steve F, he may not make it back.:D
Capt Bill Urvalek
KAREN SUE
631 668 4011

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
I'd be interested in a trip like that. I've never caught a cod before!

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Love Dem Cod!

Hi Billy U. Wondered where u went to.
All the places you read have decent codfishing now. From Mass up North to Ugunquit maine, the cod get better and better. My best last year was a little over 50. It was up in Halifax Nova Scotia. I was invited to run a BFT boat for a guy and we always went codfishing at the end of the day. Heck we even caught them off the end of the dock!
If yor interested Montauk and Point Judith would be the closest ride for you.
Fresh Skimmer clams would be the best bait. If you freeze 'em. make sure you put KOSHER SALT on 'em. That holds them together and keeps in the taste and odor too.
I like a 7-9 foot rod that has a decent backbone to put out a 12-16 ounce sinker in 100 to200 foot of water , and have two hooks on droppers on the main rig. I would put the 1st hook about 12 inches above the sinker on a short dropper and another about 2 foot above the first. Cod do come up of the botttom too. POLLACK will suck the Skimmers down and fight HARDER than a cod. Get one or two on your line and you'll get a work out.
I love to wreck fish for these tasty critters.
If your interested a T'ZER above the hook on the dropper really works. My BEST color was and is DARK BLUE. My 2nd choice is Florescent Red or Chartruse.
If you can, try putting a Tube T'zer (8/0, 9/0 hook) on a swivel as an action rig. I put on a 12-16 ounce Diamond jig. take of the treble and add that Tube to the lure bottom. Less hangups that way. Put a smaller Tube hook(6/0) on the jig top where you tie on the mainline. Above that about 2-3 feet another Tube hook. All this on 50-60 pound mono leader that has a SWIVEL on the mainline end.
GOD HOW I MISS CODFISHING. I'm down in Deltona now. My bones can't take the bitter cold anymore. I was a pinhhoker for these fish for lots, n ,lots of years.
Sorry to write so much. I'll hook my jig to the rods bottom eye foot and sit back and listen to you all.
Now go out there and:
RIP SOME LIPS

WACKM N STACKM
Joseph B...aka...Ancient Mariner

PS:
If anyone is interested, I'll be at the Pasadena and Wicmico shows. I'll have a baitrig and a JIG rig built so you can see how it's done.
Joseph B...aka...Ancient Mariner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts