Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I support TidalFish.com!
3,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Gang,

We have the Comcast triple play (phone/tv/internet).

The last several weeks, the internet has been extremely slow. sometimes can't ever get connected to the comcast home page.
Also, several people told us that they hear a buzzing in the phone line and can't talk with us on the phone.

Anyone else with Comcast experiencing this???

We will call comcast, just haven't yet.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Ron,
I've had a ton of problems with comcast cable modems going bad - usually starts with periodical loss of service and then shuts off for good. Rarely can they diagnose on the phone - but sometimes they do. I've also had a digital converter go bad. I don't know what the phone runs through - but if it all runs through a cable modem of some type box, I'd go and exchange it - which you can do at a comcast office - I just did that with a modem and it was a lot easier than having to schedule a sub-contractor to come out and do the exact same thing. Just my 2 cents.
bob

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi Gang,

We have the Comcast triple play (phone/tv/internet).

The last several weeks, the internet has been extremely slow. sometimes can't ever get connected to the comcast home page.
Also, several people told us that they hear a buzzing in the phone line and can't talk with us on the phone.

Anyone else with Comcast experiencing this???

We will call comcast, just haven't yet.
A friend of mine has comcast - he has the same problem with the buzzing in the phone. I believe he called and didn't get anywhere with it.

As far as the internet goes...might be due to large number of users using it in your neighborhood. Sometimes town home developments get slower speeds because of the large number of users on the internet line. Comcast forgets to tell you that the internet line is shared...so more people that have comcast in your neighborhood = slower speeds. Make sure you call and report the days that you did not have internet, you'll get some cash back sometimes.

Also, if you have a wireless router, make sure that you have a WEP key protecting it.

·
Registered
4,127 Posts
I had problems with my Comcast recently, but it turned out to be just me. My outdoor splitter had gone bad over a number of years and I could see the picture quality deteriorate and the modem went out more often. I put in a new 4-way splitter with a line amplifier where the cable enters the house, and I'm back in business. If you have a TV with a built-in analog tuner, look at your picture quality on channels 2 and 3. Mine was horribly fuzzy every time my modem went out. Once I replaced the splitter they were crystal clear.

PCT 4 PORT CABLE TV DIGITAL SIGNAL AMPLIFIER/SPLITTER - eBay (item 160268080949 end time Aug-09-08 12:15:35 PDT)

You can check your connection speed at Toast.net. Use the "Shuttle + Text" and Host Rocket :

Internet Performance and Speed Test

I typically get 5-6Mbps at home

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
I've had both outside wire problems and dying modems. All times Comcast got out (with only medium beating) and fixed the problem. They even fixed the time I cut the underground cable with a shovel (ooops).

I typically get 10-11 MBPS at home download...worse in afternoon when the kids are home. Uploading is a whole 'nother story...I don't pay for the premium service, so I get what I pay for.

I really like the free speed test from Speakeasy.
Speakeasy - Speed Test

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
Im running 10mbps down, and 2.2 up on a wireless Comcast setup... I hae been VERY satisfied thus far with the product/service from Comcast. Good luck getting things back in order.

·
Registered
299 Posts
remember that cable internet is a single pipe, the more users on between you and the station the slower it is.
and this time of year with school out it will slow down

get dsl if you want to see a speed increase, its a direct line

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I support TidalFish.com!
3,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Guys,

No probs with the tv.

I think i remember having the slllloooooowwwww problem last year. so, maybe it is the kids out of school.

still need to call on the buzzing on the phone though.
thanks,:D

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Don't have comcast anymore (FiOS for us) but I would guess that at least part of your problem is a modem going bad, especially with the phone buzzing. General slowdown is probably somewhat due to increased useage in summer. Can't hurt to change the modem though.

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
I switched to Verizon Hi speed due to multiple issues with Comcast the price is primary. They had to run a new outisde line and add a dedicated cable line for the modem you may have splices in the line you may not even know about they will have to shoot the line

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
We have comcast internet & TV and can't wait for Verizon to run their fiber optic "Fios" system down our road later this year. The internet is on again, off again, as far as speed. We have to reset the modem every few days when it locks itself up. Tired of the excuses.

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
And I thought it was just me... Alber and George those are two great Websites, thanks for posting. I'm only at 4.7 down and 1.9 up.. Thats not very good....Have replaced the splitter outside, probably once a year for the past four years..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts