Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a laptop for my daughter 1 &1/2 years ago, its a Dell Inspiron 2200. Its has slowed to a crawl in the last 6 months. It takes over 5 minutes to open to the windows screen. I have run all the spyware checks and virus checks and nothing serious was found. It has a 40 gig memory and only has less then 3 gigs on it. Anyone have a clue what else I can try to get this thing back up to speed????? Thanks Martin

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
The easiest fix is to reinstall the OS, but if you want to take the time to try and fix it, you can start by looking at the task manager.

Open the task manager by doing a CTRL+ALT+DEL and look at the processes running. From there, look under the processes tab to see what's taxing your CPU and do some Google searches to see what processes are taxing your processor.

BTW, your problem might be something as stupid as a virus scanner or mapped drives. I can tell you that when I'm on my work laptop and boot up, it takes forever because it's trying to map drives on my office network and it can't because I haven't made a VPN connection yet.

Good Luck to ya...

- Dae

·
Registered
9,443 Posts
I got a laptop for my daughter 1 &1/2 years ago, its a Dell Inspiron 2200. Its has slowed to a crawl in the last 6 months. It takes over 5 minutes to open to the windows screen. I have run all the spyware checks and virus checks and nothing serious was found. It has a 40 gig memory and only has less then 3 gigs on it. Anyone have a clue what else I can try to get this thing back up to speed????? Thanks Martin
I use the site below to solve all my computer problems. The folks on the site are experts and are only to willing to help.You name the problem and they can solve it.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/

Dennis:)

·
Registered
9,785 Posts
A complete windows re-install sure will do the trick. I've done this several times, just make sure you back up any data and you have all the programs to reinstall them. Also be prepared for a gazzilion windows patches and updates depending on how long ago you bought windows.

You might also try the windows restore function. It's a function that restores the system to a previous time, perhaps when it was working nicely. It's hard to find, go to the windows help under the start menu. Type in "system restore wizard". That should pull up the wizard with a calendar you can pick the day you want to set it back to. It will not delete programs but will reset all the system settings which means some programs installed after the restore may not work right but you could always reinstall that program.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
My experience (3 times) is that you may be pushing the memory. The best solution for it is to have additional memory added. On one computer, a lot of data was lost because I didn't know what the problem was and somehow "overextended". When memory was added, some of the data was so messed up, it had to be deleted to get the remainder to work properly.
Note: These statements come from a computer illiterate person--I'm just telling of my experience and what was done to make it better.
GOOD LUCK!!

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
My apologies----I did not read the entire message. Sounds like there is more memory there than you could ever need. Surely your daugher hasn't filled that up already!!! :-]

·
Registered
117 Posts
Download ccleaner.exe it will fix all of your problems

I am a systems engineer for Wheatsystems.com we use for all of our home clients it keeps them going.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Been in the biz for 11 years. I've seen it ALL..... anything but a complete re-install is a temp. band-aid. MS will tell you to re-install their OS every so often to keep it speedy. You can even do it without backing up your data, if you have a good HD ( but backups are a good idea if you can !).
Let me know if you need help with the steps.

Patrick
Pat N Mike

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I just followed the advise of one of the replies and did a ctrl, alt, del and found the command that was bogging down the harddrive, then I did a search on it(dogpile not google) and turned up a chat session about the problem. It was linked to the Symantec software in Nortons Antivirus. I deleted the Nortons program and the computer is as good as new!!!!!!! I thought Nortons was supposed to help the computer??? By the way I said it had a 40 gig hard drive and only 3 gigs were being used so more then 90% of the drive is free before deleting the nortons. Not sure if I want to try to re-install the Nortons but viruses are not fun either. Thanks for everyones responses and the cure to my problem!!! Martin

·
Registered
9,785 Posts
A friend had norton and as soon as he upgraded to IE 7.0, big problems like the ones you describe came about. He called MS and they admitted 7.0 conflicted with norton. Now here is the thing that gets me. MS wants to get into the security business to get market share from these antivirus and firewall companies. They want to charge $$ to secure their program. What I have a problem is if they have the ability to give us a secure program, then they should without charging us EXTRA for security. It's like selling us a defective product for one amount but if we want the one the really works, we have to pay more. But then again, Bill Gates is a gazzilionare plotting to squeeze more money from us and most likely will succeed....sorry for the rant.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Norton and HP have completely dropped the ball on windows systems. HP printers can be worse than Norton. You definately need some sort of anti-virus software on your daughter's computer.
I use AVG free edition (google it). Have been using it for a couple of years and it works great without affecting system speed or boot times. You will have to poke around there site to find the Free version but it is worth every penny:)

·
Registered
658 Posts
avg antivirus and windows defender is all you need and both are free. most web hosting co. use this combo. my neighbors comp was crawling and norton showed i virus which they wanted $89 to clear it out. after month of haggling i got him to load avg.......it found 70 viruses !!!!!!!!! 1 click they were gone and he was up to speeed.....screw norton,mcaffee and anyone preloaded when you buya unit.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Hi Martin. This slow down does not necessarily mean a virus, esp if it is not being detected by anti-virus software. what happens is that over time junk programs are automatically installed and these run in the background without you have to invoke them at all. Many of these programs are not malware or adware at all but parts of programs that run in support of their "parent" programs. Of course it could be a virus, so it is best to ensure the computer has been scanned by an anti-virus program first. A nice free anti-virus prg with a small footprint that does not use alot of your computer memory or power is made by AVG- it's free.

If you're running Norton products they can be real resource hogs - they use alot of your computing power to run....

Reinstalling the operating system will work, but it is a little drastic. There are a few things you can try first. Unfortunately it would be difficult to type instructions on what to do here. Instead I can offer to help you via phone. Call me in the later afternoon or early evening and I'll talk you through a few fix attempts.

I have Comptia A+ and Network+ computer certifications and know my way around Unix and Linux operating systems. I have not had to reinstall an OS in a long time and then only because of a hard drive crash.

I'll B-mail you my phone number for you to call me if you wish.

Lou

1 - 20 of 20 Posts