Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Always was a Ford Truck guy but after seeing the Durango at the Auto Show this past weekend it really caught my interest. Who has one? Pro's and con's please.

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
Take a gander at Consumer Reports rating of automobiles/trucks. The Dodge Durango is rated the worst across the board. :eek: Yes, they are cheaper than an Explorer, but apparently they're also cheaper than an Explorer......

·
Tidal Fish Super Subscriber - I rock!
3,295 Posts
Been looking for a used SUV to tow my boat for a little over a month ..... from what I can see, there are more Durango's on the used car market than any other SUV and usually less expensive. The blogs say the people that have them like them but they have repair problems.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
99 Durango, 180,000 miles, got flooded during Isabelle still runs great. I needed the torque a chevy or ford SUV could never provide at comparable prices. They are not the best in stop and go traffic, that is what an explorer is for.

·
Administrator
18,673 Posts
I have one, have had it since 1999 and it has about 130,000 miles on it. I will say that they have had a bad rap because of the transmission issues. I however, knock on wood, have never had a problem. Ours is the SLT and is totally loaded with everything and we have the big V8 which I tow my Parker with and we used to tow our horse trailer with two horses in it with no problem. We did a ton of research and for the money nothing really compared for the amount of room and toughness of it. We looked at everything in this size. We did not want a Suburban or Yukon etc because we drive it in DC from time to time and really is just small enough to not have too many problems.

They did have a heat issue, not enough coming out in the winter, but I heard they fixed that problem. At the time they also did not offer seat warmers which I would have liked and did not at the time offer a factory sunroof which I would gotten. But, other then general maintenance I can not say anything bad about ours. I actually really love the body style, all the room for the dogs and how it tows. I have been procrastinating getting a new car. I will not get another Durango simply because I do not like the new body style they came out with and also because I want a truck with a bed. If the Durango was the old body style and I was going to get another truck that size I would get another.

As a side note I am looking at trucks now and very seriously considering the new Toyota Tundra V8. We really like the new GMC 2500 and 3500's coming out this Spring, but after looking at the Toyota V8 with the cab and regular size bed along with the 10,000+ towing capacity and the fact that Toyota's simply just run forever, sort of like VW's, we are leaning towards one. They are pretty impressive in my opinion. A few guys in the gym who were die hard Ford and Chevy guys switched lately and said as hard is it is for them to admit the Toyota is super impressive. Anyone else have one that can jump in? I do not want to hijack this thread so will start another.

Brandon

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool!
3,364 Posts
I bought one in the early 90's and it was a POS. Chrysler had no interest in wanting to fix it. I will NEVER by a Chrysler product EVER. Don't make that mistake.

·
Banned
165 Posts
I have a 2005 with the Hemi in it and I have had no problems what so ever..She has got over 42k miles on her..So you nah sayers can talk all you want about em but I have friends that own both chevy and ford SUVs that have nothing but problems..They all have problems for that matters..The Durango is hard on gas though..Towing a boat she does a great job..But like I said shes hard on gas.

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I support TidalFish.com!
3,659 Posts
Hi Crab,

I have been researching the big suv's for a month. Want a travel (when retired) vehicle plus ability to tow once in a while. Narrowed it down to yukon(tahoe)/armada/expedi/durango, in that order. That's about the order of price also. That's about the way they are rated also. Gotta watch the reviews carefully. Sometimes they are reviewing 2004 models (armada/durango). Reliability on these last two is a downer.

Saw a survey the other day of 'would you buy this vehicle over again?'.

The gmc/chev had 80%, other 3 were at 50-55 %. Pretty big spread. Of course we want the loaded models for comfort when traveling. Might get one two yrs old, when the times comes, not new.
Good luck,:)

·
Registered
241 Posts
We looked at an '06 Durango and it just seemed so cheap for the price. The 4.7L just didn't moved it all that well and the Hemi wasn't much better. It's just a heavy vehicle, I can't believe they offer a V6.

To Chrysler's credit, we had an '04 Chrysler Pacifica, it was a damn nice vehicle for a family. It blew away anything the competition could offer at the time. Right now we have an '06 Dakota with the 4.7L to pull the boat and my wife drives it daily. Works great for towing 3000 lbs and being something small enough for her to drive.

Older Durangos with the 5.2L and 5.9L were gas sucking dogs. When they finally offered the 4.7L and a good tranny in that body style it wasn't a bad combination, same with the Gen II Dakotas when they dumped the old motors. But they're still not a platform for heavy towing and hard use.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks all. The Ford F250 4x4 diesel was comperable in price to the Durango and was sweet looking. But I was looking to scale down a bit. Just might have to stick with the pickemup. I really did like the roominess of the Durango especially the headroom. All the other SUVS made us feel so confined that we felt like we were ready to take off in an Apollo space capsul.

·
Registered
11 Posts
We Have A 06 Durango Limited 4x4 With Hemi Motor , I Looked At Alot Of Suvs This Was The Perfect Size For My Family. It Has Plenty Of Room For The Kids And Dog, But Not To Big To Fit In The Garage. We Got A Great Deal On It $14000 Off The Sticker Price. It Has All The Bells And Whistles , Plus Plenty Of Power To Pull The Boat.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Always was a Ford Truck guy but after seeing the Durango at the Auto Show this past weekend it really caught my interest. Who has one? Pro's and con's please.
My son is a tow truck operator, and he tows a lot of cars & trucks for a Dodge dealer, he has told me that he tows an unusual amount of Dodge trucks for transmission problems, and quite a few are repeat repairs. He should be a reliable source of information on that subject............I won't buy any Dodge.

·
1,295 Posts
I don't ahve a Durengo but a 2003 Dodge 1500 quad cab with the 4.7 liter motor. That engine has lots of power. I tow my boat (4500 lb. plus)all the time and it has a ton of power- A lot more that my Ford F150 with a 5.0 I had before. It's not too good on gas but when towing it doesn't go down nearly as bad as that Ford. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
the older dodge durango's did have some problems,the transmission had governor pressure and transducer pressure sensors that would go bad and the trans wouldn't shift,another common problem was the check valve at the cooler would stick and the trans would lose cooler flow of course they burnt up,the a/c sucked at idle couldn't get enough air flow across the condensor to stay cold,the lower intake gasket on the 5.2 and 5.9 would suck in and the engine will ping on acell and suck the oil out of the engine into the bottom of the intake and burn it,another problem is the owners,for whatever reason dodge owners seem to be cheap(not all of them) and skip alot of the maint.drive them to death then complain about them being junk when they broke,and don't think for a moment ford and chevy don't have problems because they do/did,the new body style durango has none of these problems the 4.7 and the 5.7 hemi are almost as bulletproof as they come just don't overheat a 4.7,the trans problems are a thing of the past,the 4.7 feels weak when new they have a long break in time,but after 5k or so they loosen up and make good power it's a shame the fuel mileage still stinks,all the new trucks no matter who makes them are good vec's everybody is making good stuff now,it's just what you like better for whatever reason buy it,out of all the 1000's and 1000's of vec's made somebody going to get something thats a problem,I have been in service mangement for 25 yrs dodge chevy and ford I have seen the good bad and ugly with all of them...

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I support TidalFish.com!
3,659 Posts
Thanks for the excellent info Got B.:D

Dryall M -- so you didn't say. are you happy with your 06?? What type of highway mileage (no tow)?? Any service issues??

Thanks.:)

PS. Anyone know what month the new consumer rpts/consumer guides books come out with the yrly reviews of new/used cars.???

I have the one for 07 and it says to keep it on the stands til april 07. I'll prob wait for the new ones to come out the end of this yr. Then see how the reviews are on the 07's. so confusing

·
Registered
549 Posts
I have a 04 Durango Limited 5.9 Hemi with all wheel drive it's been a great vehicle. Has about 40,000 on it no problems. It's a comfortable car on trips even with 5 people in it. Gets about 18 mpg on the highway. Very happy with it.

·
Registered
855 Posts
In case you all didn't know, Chrysler just announced yesterday that they are closing the Newark, De. plant (the one that makes the durango. They will be shutting it down to one shift in 2007 and totally idle by 2009 so I don't think the future of the Durango is bright.

·
Registered
633 Posts
I also have a 2004 Dodge Durango Limited with the Hemi. I had a couple problems early on when it was new that the dealer took care of. The computer needed a "flash" upgrade to fix a couple of known bugs. It's been great since and I'm up to 40,000 miles. I tow my 22 foot Hydrasports with ease. I get about 17 mpg but have gotten up to 20 mpg on a long highway road trip. Towing the boat.....about 11 mpg.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts