Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Decided this morning, gotta donate my Ford Explorer. Originally was to give to oldest, EX put kaboom on that ( long story).. Tired of looking at her in the driveway. I'll never get what I put into her,($$$) so I'll take the write off.. Any suggestions ???

Thanks

·
Tidal Fish Super Subscriber - I rock!
3,317 Posts
Brian .......better check the new write off (Charitable Contribution of vehicles) ........ I think you have to wait until they sell it and tell you the amount or $500 if it is over a ceratin wage ........... I'm not an accountant or tax guy ....... just heard someone else being surprised by this ........ Good Luck ......

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I Support TidalFish.com!
7,173 Posts
Brian - Consider Annapolis SPCA or another one like it. Jim

·
Registered
5,424 Posts
Brian. Jewish heritage for the blind and the Boyscouts were my 2 favorites. Gave great receipts of what thw vehicle was worth (18000) for a BMW 530 with 300k ! New law came into effect last year you deduction is based on what the vehicle ACTUALLY sold for.Now for an SUV Id choose Chesapeake Wildlife rescue foundation. Pat Goss of Goss garage does the repairs and the truck spends its life rescuing hurt and sick animals;

Jeff

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Just remember recent changes in the tax code are only going to net you whatever percentage your tax burden is of the vehicles value (if the value is $1000 and you paid 15% in federal taxes, then the deduction is a whopping $150. I think all the charities that accept vehicles have to use the same guidelines when assessing a value so it won't change much from charity to charity. I would base my selection on who uses the most of the sale profit for the charity, not the administration costs. There are web pages you can research that through.

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool!
3,364 Posts
The national Kidney foundation or Diabetes association will accept it. Check their web sites to tell you how to do it. It's pretty simple. After you send them the title and they receive it. They'll send a tow truck to come & get it.

·
Premium Member
1,574 Posts
I've donated two cars to Purple Heart and all went smoothly. All procedes are supposed to go to helping military veterans, being a veteran myself, this is the charity I chose. Here's the link

Purple Heart - Home

-JB

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
I donated a minvan to Melwood. Got a call at 2AM from the Bladnesburg police, vehicle was sold and never retitled.
Had to fax over the form from Melwood and the MVA when I turned in the tags. Certain it wasn't Melwoods issue, expect the van was wholesaled, a 2AM call is rarely good..

·
Registered
559 Posts
I donated a minvan to Melwood. Got a call at 2AM from the Bladnesburg police, vehicle was sold and never retitled.
Had to fax over the form from Melwood and the MVA when I turned in the tags. Certain it wasn't Melwoods issue, expect the van was wholesaled, a 2AM call is rarely good..
Similar thing happened to me. I donated a Jeep to Melwood and got a call from a storage yard about 6 months later. Whomever bought the Jeep never retitled it, but they did manage to wreck it. Got towed to the yard and the new owners never went to get it. I guess the place checked the title history and I got the call.

I wanted to pay the fees and go take my Jeep back, but my wife wouldn't let me. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
career center

Local High school shop or career center is the best. I got blue-book top grade for a beat-up 13 year old Subaru. If its for educational purposes, you get a much better deal and don't have to wait for it to get sold at auction.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts