Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
City is complaining about my boat next to my house. It won't fit in the garge so I want to put it in the back yard. I have a 6ft wood fence around the back yard and I want to put in a drive through gate about 12ft wide. Does anybody have any suggestions? I am looking to pull one post and make 2 6ft sections but I am worried about sag. I can't have much of a gap either due to the dogs. Any info would help.

mike

·
Registered
233 Posts
I thought about this when I was considering doing the same thing. Hard to describe but I shall try. I've seen fencing that has a hole in the cement in the center that a rod that is attached to one of the two swinging fenced drops down into. This helps to keep the fences from sagging.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Use good dry lumber if ya can... newly pressure treated lumber is HEAVY! and will sag more.. Use good quality hinges... I like the ones that has an L that screws into the post, just pre drill twist em in, Regular hinges work well too.. bigger the better...use wood blocks to shim the gate up about 1/2-3/4 of and inch higher on the end, screw the other end of the hinge into the gate.... when you remove the 2x4 and shims the two gate will drop slightly and should be darn close...

O and what george said... Id do that!! helps with the wind playin hell on your latch more so than the sagging.

Hope this helps Mike!

·
Registered
839 Posts
O and if ya use the L Hinges It gives you infinate adjustment by turning in the top and turning out the bottom will raise the inside and vice versa... turning in the bottom and out the top will drop the latch side of the gates.

·
Registered
253 Posts
damn I just lost a HUGE paragraph I had typed!!!! Long story short, I've done this in my old dog pen. Large gate 12ft wide by 6ft tall. Notched all 8 ends for a flush overlap and added an x in the middle. 3 Huge hinges with 12" plywood corner braces attached to a 6x6 with 2 bags of cement. Heres the best part, I added a 3" roller on the non hinged end and formed small travel in the ground wth cement as well. Never had to deal with sag, and mud or soft ground wasn't an issue either due to the "road" the wheel traveled on.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Others have shared how to keep the gate(s) from sagging but there is another area that needs attention; the post that the gate is hinged from. You need use a cable or piece of wood to run from the top of this post to the bottom of the next post. This will help keep the post from bending due to the cantilever load. I prefer a cable with a turnbuckle so the levelness of the post can be adjusted to keep the gate sections aligned and eliminate interference as the wood expands/contracts due to moisture.

·
Registered
4,061 Posts
Look at it this way. Your gate will either be completely closed or completely open 99.99% of the time. So to avoid sagging over time there needs to be inground supports for the non-hinged ends of the gate(s) when they are open or closed. You may have to lift the ends of the gates slightly each time you open or close to get them up on the supports but it will work nicely.

As suggested, a roller works well but is a little more effort to install but probably easier to use. And yeah, a supporting wire going from the top of the hinging post to the bottom of the next post (with turn buckles to adjust tension over time) will help a lot.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts