Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this is not a fishin' report & will fade away soon but I appreciate the opinions this board has. I'm considering/designing a inground fiberglass pool for my new home & wondered if anyone here had one? I've heard rumors about them possibly "floating up" above the ground due to ground pressure rising to the surface? Also lookin' at the saltwater filtering systems instead of chlorine? Any thoughts would be appreciated. Any TFers in the pool biz would also be welcomed. Good luck when you can go ......:helpsmilie:

·
Registered
9,443 Posts

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Scott, I am a crane operator for a crane rental co and i set fiberglass pools for a local pool co quite often, i am no expert on pools but have learned a little about them through my work. Here goes. If i could afford a fiberglass pool thats what i would have hands down, but they cost approx double a lined hole in the ground. As far as them floating or popping i think thats a markrting gimmick that the liner guys use to scare people away from fiberglass. Its certainlly posibble given the right cercumstances, but your a smart guy so think about it, its just like your boat, but opposite, as long as its got more water in it than under it how could it pop? , mayge if you drain it and the water table comes way up for some reason but you would have problems with either if that were tha case. I know that as soon as i set them in the graded hole they start filling them with water, iguess to hold it down and in place because then they start filling aroud it with sand, seldom have i seen the water table even around vb high enuf that they had water in the hole and they had to wellpoint. Fib has a lifetime war ,liner no and your gonna have to replace it, fib is qwicker to install, ect, ect. I think the biggest fib you can get is 16x40 due to hauling restrictions and a bare bones no frills is about 45 thou and that scares many away. MY sister in law has saltwater type like your talking about and they love thiers.Hope this helped , email if ya want more. C.C.

·
Registered
976 Posts
I am a custom home builder and I researched all different types of pools. They all have pro's and cons.Could not believe the price of some of the estimates I received. Insane. Pre-molded fiberglass pools are certainly more expensive than conventional vinyl liner pools. As with anything, the better you take care of it, the longer it will last. For me, it came down to groundwater issues and the fact I have zero experience installing pools. I reccomend you have some sample bores done to see what type of soil you have and where the water table is. If you have a high water table or running sand you will end up with a much much larger bill than you anticipate. I settled on a vinyl liner pool w/fiberglass forms. I ordered the kit off the internet and installed everything myself. Although I have my own equipment, after it was all said and done, I feel anyone who is fairly handy can install one their self. It does not take a rocket scientist just a little bit of hard work. Kits come with pretty much everything needed whether you choose pre-mold or vinyl. It took me 9 days for the pool itself and then a few more for installing concrete and fencing. I grew up with an inground pool, so the maintenance part of it was not a big deal. I did however settle on the saltwater chlorinator. It seems to do a good job of sanitizing the water, but noticed that it is starting to leave a ring of scum on the fiberglass steps at the waterline. I would not reccomend this for a fiberglass pool. I'm gonna switch back to regular chlorine. The kids don't really like the saltwater taste that the salesman told me I wouldn't have. Just my opinions and you know what they say about those. Be glad to answer any questions . Email [email protected]

·
Registered
955 Posts
Fiberglass one-piece pools.....

Scott, I too am a custom home builder, and do most of my work in Southern Maryland. Four years ago, having been frustrated with the lack of availability and experience of local pool installers, our company started investigating how we could address the pool needs of our clients in a timely manner. We found San Juan pools at the International Builders Show in Atlanta, Georgia. They are a manufacturer of one-piece fiberglass pools. Their largest model is 18' x 44'. We do all the installs for our clients using the one-piece fiberglass. The costs refered to earlier are, just like anything for sale, mostly market/risk driven. I see higher profits on the pools (%), but the risks and liabilities are higher. In our area, the fiberglass market is in between a vinyl liner pool and a cement pool.
As mentioned before, there are pros and cons to any selection, but for me, the fiberglass has some very distinct and long-lasting benefits, not to mention the salt-water systems you are referring too. These advantages are both from a cost and human factors analysis. To dive into a pool, and open your eyes in an environment (salinity of a tear-drop) that your eye is used to and can see clearly in without a lot of maintenance is one of the many benefits. I add 25 lbs of salt to mine when I open the pool in the spring, and that's it for the season!!!! No chlorine, no PH/salinity testing (self-monitoring), and no replacing torn liners, or draining down the pool to do that. Use the cantilevered coping forms ($) when you have the skirt poured around the pool and it looks just like a concrete pool. Add some fiber-optic lighting around the underside of the coping, and let the party begin!!!! Most of the time, our installs are done in less than a week....pool hole is dug, bottom sanded, pool set, and backfilled (mostly) in one day. Most of the time the inspections in our area take longer than the actual construction time.
Concerning the water-table issue, there should not be an issue as long as the pool is not drained. We install a piece of 8" water pipe at the ends of the pools with a nice brass plate cover so that we can monitor the levels, and this is some peace of mind for our clients that are concerned with this and don't trust the physics. Most submersible sump-pumps will fit down inside of this pipe if you ever want to pump the water out. We use it a lot when we are installign on hard-pan clay, and have to use a lot of water to "wash-in" the sand backfill, just in case the backfill gets a little ahead of the pool fill.
I have never had a complaint/regret from any past client that wished they had done something different. Find someone that has one, and go look at it....then go look at a vinyl liner and a concrete pool. For me, there was no alternative, but each person is different. Only offering my opinion as an installer and owner. Have nothing to gain by this. San Juan and I have an understanding...I get the product for my new home construction clients only, I don't install for just anyone wanting a pool. Hope this helps. Tom

P.S. In case your installer doesn't tell you, set aside a few grand for a perimeter fence!!!!!:yes:

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I put a concrete pool in my backyard a year ago- I used a very reputable company in Richmond who advised me to stay away from fiberglass and liner pools- not because they were trying to sell me a more costly pool, but for the maintenence and repair and floating up issues with fiberglass and liner replacements. Did also talk to several people in my area that had non concrete pols that wished they had spent the extra money top have it right. I also have the saltwater chlorinator and my chemical bills for the first year was about $20.00 which was for ph stabilizer- glad I chose (gunite) concrete and would not have it any other way- looks alot more professional as well- Good luck at what you choose, but do some additional research.

Scott

·
Registered
311 Posts
I have a liner pool also...I have experienced no problems what so ever in the 4 + years I have had it. I also have a saltwater chlorinator. The pool water does not taste like salt and your skin does not smell like chlorine when you get out of the water. The pool water is much more stable than the chlorinated pool I previously owned. There is no comparison to the cost of chemicals for a saltwater pool compared to a chlorinated pool. I roughly spend 50-60.00 a year for a saltwater sys. and have spent around 200-300.00 per year on a chlorinated sys.
Good luck in your research...I would not change my saltwater pool for anything!

b-sea

·
Registered
750 Posts
for some reason i feel more confident that chlorine is "killing" stuff that might be swimming around in my pool. i know a lot of folks dont like it, but i dont think my skin smells like chlorine either.

did want to add that chemicals /chlorine IS expensive- probably runs me around 500 dollars a season _ i have had my liner pool for ~10 years, will be needing a new liner soon though-

·
Registered
126 Posts
we have an inground liner pool for the past 13 years. we live RIGHT on the water. during the three noreasters last year, the pool was totally surrounded by water, and there has never been a problem with the liner moving or floating. our pool is about just under sea level at high tide. here a photo.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Scott, in my last house in Northenr va. we installed a Gunite/concrete pool 25x45 kind of a pear shaped kidney mix. It was 10.5 deep at deep end for diving safety.. I never had a problem and liked that it was any shape or design we wanted. We had it for 15 years prior to selling the house and not a problem one. The pool company could put benches and steps whever we wanted so it was more of a custom pool.

Anthony pools was the builder and I odnt know if they have an office any place around here.

I have several friends with t he saltwater and they all are very satisfied and I would love the no chlorine smell and headache... Good luck

·
Registered
5,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
:yes: So far except for the cost factor I'm not hearing anything to keep me from a fiberglass pool but it sounds like I should check out the gunite pools? I like the idea of the one peice fiberglass, no liner maintenance setup. ;) Any suggestions on a company to do core soil sampling? A TF pizza party poolside sounds like fun!:clap: I'll be honest , there's too many choices? :8: Good luck when you can go ....

·
Registered
49 Posts
I had a vinyl liner pool installed 16 years ago with fiber glass walls, I had the liner replaced 1 time 2 years ago. I've tried all the chemicals, but nothing in my area works as good as chlorine with the water that I have. As for getting out the pool with red eyes, somebody does't know what there doing when they check the chlorine level, because there using entirely to much. My pool is 18 ft x 36 ft and holds about 24000 gallions of water and i might spend $100.00 to $125.00 a year in chemicals. A good friend of mine had a gunite pool installed 2 years ago by a local installer in Richmond, developed a leak last summer and until he closed it they still have not found it or fixed it.
I've got a vinyl liner pool, I've got friends with gunite and figerglass pools, but my next pool will be a fiberglass pool!!!!!!!!!!!:clap:

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
My sister installed a pool in their new home several years back and went with the saltwater thing. I have been in pools all my life and it was a first in a salt pool and I thought it was much better than any clor. pool. Thats just my 2 cents. If you spend any extended amount of time in clor. pools your eyes at some point will get irritated but not with the salt pools.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Careful, unless you put some fish in it and catch one, you may get publicly flogged for putting such things on a Fishing Board:eek:

I have some friends in the Rosemont area that have a fiberglass pool and the saltwater system, they are VERY happy with it. The folks who put it in did a first class job also. I guess they have had it about 5-6 year now, and not one issue. I swim in it alot in the warmer months, and the saltwater is much better than chlorine IMO.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I am also considering installing a pool.
I have kind of ignored liner pools from consideration because I have two large dogs that will probably end up in the pool at some point. Not sure how claws mix with vinyl, not well I suspect.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Had one intalled in December a 16 x 35 CPC fiberglass (they are a division of Viking pools) went with fiberglass because of dog 90 lb lab and sure she will be in it at one time or other...:) also have alot of trees and branches that could poke a hole in a vinyl one. Right now it is covered and waiting for spring...:( wanted to get a heater but the admiral said no have to work on that one...lol installation went great hole was dugged and pool backfilled within 3 days, about 3 weeks after had the concrete decking poured 1250 sq feet, wow not cheap!! saltwater and fiber optic lighting. Let me know if you have any questions..

·
Registered
5,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thx. for the reply. I tried to email you w/ some questions but it says you can't recieve email? Who did your pool? What size/shape/cost ect.? Can you bmail me? Viking it what I am looking at. Thx. to everyone for their input....;)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts