Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Gummed up carb maybe? I had the same thing happen to a wood chipper I have. Rebuilt the carb and solved the problem.

Maybe try some starter fluid down the throat of the carb. If it starts and then conks out once the starter fluid is burned up it is most likely gunk in your carb.

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Thanks Chris, I know little and nothing about engines. I see the fuel going through the filter. It normally fires right up. So I'll get carb cleaner and new plug, that should work, I hope...

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
Echo,

I don't mean to be a smart a$$ or to state the obvious, but you should make sure you are engaging all the safety things that need to be done to get it to start. Mine will only start if the PTO is not engaged, the brake has to be pushed in/engaged, I have to be sitting on the seat, etc... The first thing I would do is make sure the PTO is disengaged (i.e., the mower deck is NOT turned on).

Also it takes a lot of choke to get mine started in cold weather. Good luck!

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Steve, don;t know you, but I think JUST LIKE YOU...:thumbup:

Thought WTF am I doing wrong ?? Hasn't been that long since I was on the damn thing.. But I did check all the safety stuff.. Cause it does sound, just like you thought, wont start do to a safety feature...

·
Registered
235 Posts
I've got a couple gallons of fiddy:1 I want to burn up. Anyone done this in a small 4 stroke engine like a lawn tractor? I figure she'll smoke a bit but be none the worse for wear...?
Weed whackers, chain saws and leaf blowers...If you don't have any that use it, your neighbors might.

Of course, you could wait for spring and let the exhaust fumigate the local mosquito population:yes:

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Dude just cause you want a lawn like Kevin's doesn't mean you have to go mow it in the middle of winter.

-Evans
E---- My lawn DOES look like Kevins.....:yes::yes:

Ironically, I have get tractor to my driveway, its a good 300 yds, uphill , so the tractor place can pick it up for yearly service.. If that ain't f'ed up, I don;t know what is....:pp:pp

·
Registered
7,988 Posts
B, The best thing I ever started to do with small engines is to run them dry when I won't use them for a while. You name it, chainsaw, weedwacker, mower, what ever. The gas gums up the carb. Since I've been running them dry I've been having a lot less touble.

As for you Rob, I'd say no problem, just don't let it sit in the tank for more than a few days.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Echo, how old is the gas?
I had an outboard (oil injected)that wouldn't start on old gas, but with a shot of starting fluid, it would fire and run. just wouldn't start on it.
But oddly enough the wife's ford exploder started and ran fine on the stuff.
Had over a hundred gallons to use in her car. Refilled with fresh gas and no problems.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Where are you located?

Brian, where do you live? I do small engines for a living...Save you money from a dealer service big time...I'm sure we can figure it out..Give me a call and I'll have you fix it over the phone if you're not close by....443-243-0083

·
Registered
358 Posts
Echo,

If the carb is real gummed up, carb cleaner probably won't fix it. To tell whether it's a carb issue, try the starting fluid test I told you about. It should run for 2-3 seconds and conk out if it's not getting any fuel through the carb. If that happens, you just need to unbolt the carb and take it to a small engine repair place. They can rebuild it for 40-50 bucks and it'll be good as new. The jets in those things are TINY and the smallest amount of varnish, dirt, etc will keep them from starting/running.

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
The problem's in the carb float valve......it's stuck closed....probably varnished from gas evaporating.
Pinch off the fuel hose to the carb, remove the fuel bowl, jiggle the float up and down till you can see the float valve operate.
Reassemble and fire it up....a little engine starter might help initially.

And fiddy:1 won't hurt your motor a bit.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.