Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

Question to all the smart guys out there. Tonight while driving from Solomons back up rt. 4 at a my 2004 F-350 acted very strange. After stopping at a red light and then throttling up at the green light the truck started acting like it wasn't getting enough fuel. It bucked some, kicked out some black looking smoke and then ran alright at high speed. Another light, same thing. I turned off Rt. 4 and tested it on a side road. While in drive from a stop it really hesitated big time and would finally run after a good bit of bucking and choking. So...at slow speed it ran badly, at high speed it seemed alright but still maybe not perfect. Could the cold weather be playing with it funny, ie....diesel fuel getting thick. I had no dummy lights come on and the gages were all running at normal ranges. ??????? Any ideas......? I'm supposed to be running south to fish a few days....I don't need this!!!!!!

Thanks in advance for any tips!!!!!

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Hey Pete I just bought the same truck and did alot of research on it so I can help a little. Check www.ford-trucks.com forum they can help and what I have read on that site alot of guys use fuel additives to there trucks when they fill up. Also these trucks have a water separator like your boat so maybe that needs to be looked at since you may have gotten a bad batch of fuel somehwere. Good Luck tight lines

·
Registered
7,988 Posts
Pete, Get new fuel filters. In this cold weather any water in the filters freezes and causes a problem. Also put in fuel addative(sp?) will help with the water problem. Diesels can be a B***h in this cold weather. Good luck.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Filters from the International dealer are about 1/2 the $$$ as the Ford dealer,but the Ford 6.o DOES NOT take the same filter as the Int. 6.0.
Crazy,but that's how it is.Don't have the part #s with me,but should be on any of the diesel websites.

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool!
414 Posts
I'm having the same problem with my Hemi Ram. It did it to me the other day driving to work in the snow. Nothing like having the pedal to the floor in 4WD when it stops choking and it starts running right.:eek:

·
Registered
546 Posts
Mr. Walleye

I second Diesel Stop.com. Alot of great info there. If you are in the Harford County area, stop by The Diesel Connection behind Days Truck sales. They are diesel only and honest guys to deal with. What ever happened, a code was thrown and they will solve your problem. Stay away from dealers unless you are under warrenty. Nothing like a work vehicle going down.

Good luck

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Diesel fuels are blended for winter driving, additives are costly and unneccessary. No trucker could afford to buy additives when burning 100's of gallons of fuel daily. I am responsible for a government motor fleet of 350 vehicles and we just clocked 1000's of hours pushing snow in adverse conditions 24 hours a day w/o a drop of additive.

Your modern engine is designed to be self diagnostic and just attempted to tell you what was wrong when it sent codes. Listen to your vehicles computer. The issue may very well be clogged fuel filters and will still send a code when fuel pressures are not suffecient.

I have seen several injector pumps wiped out when the operator over-medicated the fuel with to much additive affecting the lubrication qualities of engineered fuel. Now you are talking $$. We now prohibit operators from using fuel additives.

If you have the $$ and want to use additives, that is your choice, and they will SOMETIMES help with diesel fuel gelling, but you if you have clean fuel filters, you rarely will see these issues. If not using additives was the core problem, the highways would littered with broken down diesel trucks who refuse to pay 1 penny more for already expensive fuel.

Think about it...

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool
5,686 Posts
Eminent Brother,
Is your Powerstroke a 7.3 or a 6.0?? My X has made me an expert in things that can go wrong with a Powerstroks. If it's a 7.3 it sounds like your cam position sensor is getting ready to go. Sometimes they give you a warning and sometimes the engine just dies. If your less then 100,000 miles and 5 years old, they cover it under warrenty. I'd also tell ya it's a good idea to use a diesel fuel additive to improve the lubrisity of the diesel fuel as it flows through the fuel system. The newer diesel fuels have less of the additives they used to have to lower pollutants.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Eminent Brother,
Is your Powerstroke a 7.3 or a 6.0?? My X has made me an expert in things that can go wrong with a Powerstroks. If it's a 7.3 it sounds like your cam position sensor is getting ready to go. Sometimes they give you a warning and sometimes the engine just dies. If your less then 100,000 miles and 5 years old, they cover it under warrenty. I'd also tell ya it's a good idea to use a diesel fuel additive to improve the lubrisity of the diesel fuel as it flows through the fuel system. The newer diesel fuels have less of the additives they used to have to lower pollutants.
Pete--Graybeard is spot on with the 7.3 Powerstroke. Two years ago my 2002 F-350 began behaving like it was suffering from fuel starvation in very cold weather. Gauge showed tank was near full. It would start and then sputter out. Coasted into a Walmart parking lot and added some anti-gelling additive to the fuel. No change. Wound up getting the truck towed to a Ford dealer. Turned out it was the sensor mentioned by Graybeard. Truck had around 40,000 miles on it. It was covered under the 100K warranty but Ford still allowed me the "priviledge" of paying $100 for the warranty work. Bottom line if the additive does not work odds are that it's the sensor.

Steve

·
Registered
9 Posts
One more thing to consider

I have a 2000 Excusion with the 7.3 PSD. My Cam sensor went out - and it exibeted the same symptoms as your truck. I used a scan tool to confirm that the CAM POSITION SENSOR was at fault.

I picked up the part at the INTERNATIONAL dealer on Rt 2 in ANNAPOLIS/EDGWATER for about half of what FORD wanted.

The counter-guy at INTERNATIONAL said if the CPS did not work - it could also be the THROTLE POSITION SENSOR - which is located on the gas pedal. Especialy when it is snowy outside.

He said many bus/light-truck drivers experience this because of the "junk" on their boots gets the sensor mucked-up.

Long story short - the 7.3 PSD is FLY-BY-WIRE - if you are handy - get a scan tool from harbor freight and check it out the codes.

Good luck - hope you get it fixed!

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Guys, Walleye's got a 6L PSD being it's an '04. Ford stopped using the 7.3L in the early part of '03.

- Dae

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.